Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is a .NET 2.0 version of Smart Client Offline Application Block coming soon?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    z33driver

I was wondering if a .NET 2.0 port of this application block will be coming in the near future?  I'm currently evaluating moving one of my projects to the VS2005/.NET 2.0 platform to take advantage of the productivity gains of the toolset, but the project is heavily reliant on the SCOAB.  We are looking at shipping in 1Q2006, by that time VS2005/.NET 2.0 should have gone RTM.  The codebase will grow by an order of magnitude, so it will be easier to make the switch now than try to port later, but the SCOAB is the only thing holding me back from making the decision.

Perhaps I should open the SCOAB solution in VS2005 and see if it just works Smiley  Has anyone tried recompiling it to .NET 2.0?

• User profile image
    SCMcDonnell

I have for need to make some small changes... but the concepts are the same. Email me if p hare any questions @ Sm@eisoft.com NCH

• User profile image
    Sampy

ClickOnce deployment is really what you're looking for here.

I'd play with that and read around on MSDN before porting the offline block. ClickOnce should be able to offer you a lot more with less code than the block does.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Sampy wrote:
    ClickOnce deployment is really what you're looking for here.

I'd play with that and read around on MSDN before porting the offline block. ClickOnce should be able to offer you a lot more with less code than the block does.
    ???????????

Do you know what the Smart Client Offline Application Block is?  ClickOnce deployment is exactly that, a deployment mechanism.  The SCOAB supports offline interaction with data and synchronization of data and transactions when your application goes online.  How is ClickOnce going to offer me a lot more than the SCOAB when it doesn't have any of the capability to begin with?

• User profile image
    z33driver

Someone I work with brought it to my attention that my last post sounded like I was ripping into you...  I hope thats not how it comes across and wasn't my intention so I apologize in advance Wink

I've got a dozen things I'm juggling in the air that all need to align for the next version of our product to come together right, I've got 2 weeks to do architecture changes and design, 4 months to build the product, and I'm short on resources, ...and we must ship with zero defects Smiley  So, sorry if I'm on edge. Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.