Tech Off Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Export Word to gif/jpg

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    UlsterFry

Does anyone know of any free solutions to export from MS word to gif/jpg?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    Does anyone know of any free solutions to export from MS word to gif/jpg?

Not directly, but here's a quick hack:

Word -> Acrobat -> PDF - > Acrobat -> JPEG/GIF/PNG

• User profile image
    AndyC

If you're using Office 2003 you can print to the Microsoft Document Imaging format (which is basically a TIFF file), pretty much any image convertor worth having should be able to change that into a JPEG or GIF file.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

I'd looked at the MS document image printer but like you said, it exports as Tiff's.

Problem is, it's for use with end users and I don't want them having to save as one format, load into another program, then convert and save as new format..

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    I'd looked at the MS document image printer but like you said, it exports as Tiff's.

Problem is, it's for use with end users and I don't want them having to save as one format, load into another program, then convert and save as new format..

You could automate it.

Simple enough:

Open Photoshop and create a Droplet that converts TIFFs to PNGs.

Open Word, create a VBA Macro that saves the document to TIFF, then fires up the Droplet with the path to the image as the program argument.

Problem solved.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

W3bbo wrote:
    UlsterFry wrote:I'd looked at the MS document image printer but like you said, it exports as Tiff's.

You could automate it.

Simple enough:

Open Photoshop and create a Droplet that converts TIFFs to PNGs.

Open Word, create a VBA Macro that saves the document to TIFF, then fires up the Droplet with the path to the image as the program argument.

Problem solved.

Yes, but your assumming the end user has photoshop installed,  they don't Sad

I might look into creating something in .net with gdi to convert it.. and maybe watch a folder for any changes..  then auto-convert new files..  I don't have any knowledge of creating add-ins to office.

• User profile image
    AndyC

I don't think installing Photoshop is going to be a cheap option. Smiley

Various people sell JPEG printer drivers, no idea how well any of them work though, as I've never tried them. There might be a similar free tool somewhere, but I can't find one at the moment.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    Yes, but your assumming the end user has photoshop installed,  they don't Sad

They don't though Smiley

A Photoshop Droplet is an *.exe program that Photoshop creates that works by "drag and dropping" (hence the name) a file on it, which then executes with this argument, usually performing some conversion operation or image-creation or something.

• User profile image
    amotif

What version of PS did this "Droplet" thing appear in? Maybe it's time for me to upgrade (or read the manual)...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

amotif wrote:
    What version of PS did this "Droplet" thing appear in? Maybe it's time for me to upgrade (or read the manual)...

Since version 6.0 according to this website.

• User profile image
    sbc

PDFCreator can export to various image formats and is free.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

As an alternative, there is Paint.Net for free download. This is a very fine and light imaging application which may substitute Windows Paint over the .NET Framework (I have meet it through a link given somewhere here at C9 by Jamie).

What I have alrready tested is copying the image from Word to the clipboard, then paste it onto Paint.Net and finally, save as (export) one of the bit map formats supported: png, jpg, gif, bmp or tiff.

Tonatiúh

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

I think I'll bury my head in some books/websites and write an office add-in..   wish me luck Big Smile

Thanks for the help guys.

• User profile image
    yugotme

Sometimes the simplest solutions are right under our noses... in the form of powerpoint....

copy/paste the document/info into powerpoint... or set up the whole page in there to begin with....

Save_as.... jpg...  done.

• User profile image
    odujosh

Tonatiúh wrote:
    As an alternative, there is Paint.Net for free download. This is a very fine and light imaging application which may substitute Windows Paint over the .NET Framework (I have meet it through a link given somewhere here at C9 by Jamie).

What I have alrready tested is copying the image from Word to the clipboard, then paste it onto Paint.Net and finally, save as (export) one of the bit map formats supported: png, jpg, gif, bmp or tiff.

Tonatiúh

GDI+ can convert a Tiff to anything. Why waste your time with a third party? (free or not)

http://bobpowell.net/faqmain.htm

here is a sample (from a bigger program thats been in production for a year and half, so it works GRIN):

public static bool CreateThumb(FileInfo ToThumb, DirectoryInfo SaveTo, int WidthInPixels, string ThumbNailSuffix)

{

Regex R = new Regex("(bmp|jpeg|jpg|gif|tiff|png)$", RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);

if (ToThumb.Exists)

{

if (R.IsMatch(ToThumb.FullName))

{

using (Image IMG = Image.FromFile(ToThumb.FullName))

{

GraphicsUnit GU = GraphicsUnit.Pixel;

RectangleF Bounds = IMG.GetBounds(ref GU);

if (WidthInPixels > Bounds.Width)

{

WidthInPixels = (int)Bounds.Width;

}

int HeightInPixels = (int)((WidthInPixels/Bounds.Width)*Bounds.Height);

using (Image Thumb = IMG.GetThumbnailImage(WidthInPixels, HeightInPixels, null, IntPtr.Zero))

{

int FinalInstanceOfPeriod = ToThumb.Name.LastIndexOf('.');

string FinalPath = string.Format("{0}/{1}", SaveTo.FullName, ToThumb.Name.Insert(FinalInstanceOfPeriod, ThumbNailSuffix));

Thumb.Save(FinalPath);

}

}

return true;

}

}

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Necro-thread alert!

• User profile image
    TadejK

There's actually a simpler solution to exporting the images from word - simply save it as an html, and look into the directory it created Wink Oh, and the pictures are saved in their original form (so if you cropped or resized it, it'll still be like it was ..). Regards, Tadej

• User profile image
    brettn

pdfcreator

print any document to jpeg,pdf, tiff,png,bmp,pcx,ps,eps - custom setting for each output type

uses the ghostsctipt library

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.