Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

how to control Windows Media Player and other players from a program?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anilp

Hello,
    I was wondering if it is possible to control a standard media player through a programming language?
    For example from a Java program, call Windows Sound
    Recorder (to record) and then Win Media Player (or
    Real Audio or Quicktime) to playback sections of
    audio?
    To reiterate, I want to be able to access the default
    media player and sound recorder that is already
    installed on the user's desktop.
    1) which programming language? My application is in Java; if the program to control the media player is in some other language, I shall have to investigate how to call that DLL from Java. I know Java, Unix/C, Unix/C++.
    2) I am a slow learner. Hence would appreciate not having to learn lots of VB or Visual Studio to do this ie. simple solution preferred!

I would greatly appreciate any help.
    thanks,
    Anil Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

You might be able to control some apps. I know iTunes can be externally controlled and I think WMP can too.

There's no way though that you'll be able to control any app in a uniform way. There's no standard API for controlling multimedia players/recorders. So unless you want to focus on specific applications, this is not possible.

• User profile image
    anilp

Thanks for your reply - 10 views in 10 minutes, wow this community is alive! (unless they were bots).

Sven Groot wrote:
    There's no standard API for controlling multimedia players/recorders. So unless you want to focus on specific applications, this is not possible.

Yes, I understand there is little in common and no standard API; I would like to focus on specific applications, starting with Media Player.

If you know how, please let me know...

• User profile image
    anilp

I read that one can control Media Player from VC++. So I shall call a VC++ DLL from my Java program.
    I am a complete newbie to VC++. Do I need to buy it? Are there any free downloads of the compiler available to just write this program? (dont laugh... Java SDKs are free).
    thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    anilp

I found this free download of VC++ 2003. I shall try writing the DLL with it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/default.aspx

Smiley

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.