Tech Off Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Wishes

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Evilsushi

Just a thread to see what other people want to see in Vista that hasn't been seen yet.  My personal wishes are...

1. Common Update api.  I'm tired of all those update programs taking up my memory.  We need one that will update everything.

2. Skinable windows interface.  PLEASE microsoft this is a biggie for a lot of UBER users out there who like to customize our gear.

3. More control over how and when programs load on start up.  Almost none of the programs that start up on my computer are in my start up folder so I have to manipulate them the hard way.

4. More Virtual folders less real ones.  ex: why do we need a virtual and real "picture" folder.  I think just a virtual one would suffice and just save everything to a real documents folder.

5. Better media player capabilities.  I'm not sure Microsoft can do anything about this but it would be nice not to have to have a Quicktime, realplayer, ect  always running in the background.  Can I just install a plug in or something into WMP so I only have need one media player.   

6. Side Show Gadgets are nice but lose the bar or at least make the bar part optional.

7. Better ability to install or not install componets, EX: Media Player, IE, ect.  I personally use those programs but many others don't. 

• User profile image
    Larsenal

msvista wrote:

4. Few of the Powertoy features built in to Vista like:

• Command Prompt Here When you click on any folder on the right mouse menu

Good idea.

The picture resizer Powertoy could also be good if it were cleaned up a bit.  I've seen plenty of people struggle with this otherwise useful tool.

• User profile image
    Cider

Evilsushi wrote:

3. More control over how and when programs load on start up.  Almost none of the programs that start up on my computer are in my start up folder so I have to manipulate them the hard way.

Like when you type "msconfig" at Run?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Cider wrote:
    Evilsushi wrote:

Exactly.

Maybe have a "dummy" version that's only the equivalent of the "Startup" tab.  And make it more visible to the average joe user.  Not everyone has found "msconfig" yet.

In addition, maybe we could put the darn "msconfig" tool in a maximizable window rather than a tiny, fixed-size dialog.  Install paths + registry keys make it hard to view everything at once.

• User profile image
    Maurits

msvista wrote:
    Command Prompt Here When you click on any folder on the right mouse menu

I haven't played with PowerToy but I was able to approximate this...

Create a file "Command Prompt.bat" as follows:
    @echo off
    cmd.exe /k "cd /d %1"

Put this in %USERPROFILE%\SendTo

Now - right-click any folder
    choose Send To | Command Prompt

Doesn't work for UNC paths, unfortunately

• User profile image
    Travis H

1)  An animated search dog, who does more tricks Smiley hehe

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Maurits wrote:
    msvista wrote: Command Prompt Here When you click on any folder on the right mouse menu

I haven't played with PowerToy but I was able to approximate this...

Create a file "Command Prompt.bat" as follows:
    @echo off
    cmd.exe /k "cd /d %1"

Put this in %USERPROFILE%\SendTo

Now - right-click any folder
    choose Send To | Command Prompt

You can get the precise behaviour of that powertoy with a simple registry entry. Put this in a .reg file and import it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\cmd]
    @="Open Command Window"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\cmd\command]
    @="cmd /k \"cd %1\""

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Maurits wrote:
    Doesn't work for UNC paths, unfortunately

Gotta love the new shell Tongue Out

Administrator@TSN# cd \\localhost\c$
    Administrator@TSN# pwd

Path
    ----
    \\localhost\c$

Administrator@TSN#

• User profile image
    msvista

My 2 cents

VISTA:

1. I love to have a screen capture video capability built into Vista or atleast a plugin for Windows Media Player

2. In Aero theme, changes to taskbar and Programs menu backhround color as it is black currently...and that is  somewhat not making rich visual from the desktop. Alternative is to switch to Classic style, but not worth to go back to olden days Sad

3. Few of the Powertoy features built in to Vista like:

• Command Prompt Here When you click on any folder on the right mouse menu
      • Auto Login enable or disable (instead of one to go and tweak Registry)
    IE 7:
    1. IE 7 Themes Smiley
    2. IE 7 to support URL Aliases, else people still need to depend upon other browsers as this url alias is used most of them lately
  • User profile image
    dentaku

1 - I would like to have a taskbar that spans across both of my monitors when I'm running in Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor mode.
    Basically, it just needs to be more like the KDE "taskbar" which lets you stretch it horizontally.

2 - File extensions should NEVER be hidden!!!! EVER!!!

3 - It needs to be easier to find the Pictures, Music, etc. folder (the REAL ones, not the virtual ones) in the Save As dialog boxes. One giant virtual folder that shows every image on your harddrive is way too hard to look through because there are thousands of image files on the average person's computer. I like the way you can just click on the My Documents button in the Save As box and go directly to your stuff in XP.
    I know where my stuff is, let me get to it easily.
    Maybe I just don't understand virtual folders yet, I dunno.

4 - Vista needs something that will stop software like Real, Quicktime etc. from taking over file extensions and adding useless stuff to the startup group.
    I totally agree that we need something to replace the obscure Msconfig startup tab and give the user the power to un-hijack their computer.

5 - An easy way to see and change which codec is being used to play certain files.  This is another way that people's computers get unknowingly hi-jacked by  unscrupulous software makers.

6 -  MPEG2 codec included in the OS.

7-  It doesn't cost any more to print a CD with Home or Pro on it.
    Home should go away and they should all be the Pro version.
    Of course we don't know exactly what versions will be available yet.

• User profile image
    msvista

Cider wrote:
    Evilsushi wrote:

msconfig is not enabled or working from Vista, it does only on XP or 2003 Sad

May be some one can confirm who has Vista

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

msvista wrote:
    msconfig is not enabled or working from Vista, it does only on XP or 2003 Sad

May be some one can confirm who has Vista

The msconfig UI is being redesigned. It'll return in a later build.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

A centralized printing interface.  I hate having to install additional apps like Compaq A3000 Printer Utility just to use the printer.  I should be able to just install the driver.  More than anything, I hate having tons of programs (whether there hidden or not) loaded at a time.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    andur

dentaku wrote:

2 - File extensions should NEVER be hidden!!!! EVER!!!

Amen to that! Showing file extensions is one of the first things that I do to any xp box that I lay my hands on.

I'll add a couple of my own wishes to the list:

1. Bundle in the free command line compiler for visual studio that you can get. There's been quite a few times that I've been using a computer other than mine own and wanted to write a mini program.

2. The .Net framework to be installed on every single machine and auto-updated via windows update.

3. Managed directx to always be installed whenever unmanaged directx is.

4. Still having a windows classic skin.

• User profile image
    Evilsushi

msconfig, regedit, ect none of that stuff is easy to find or use to the average user.  When i have a problem with my system or just want to tweak it I don't want to have to go to several different programs to accomplish what i want.  make it easy to find and easy to use and don't use cryptic language as much as possible.  We shouldn't need IT certifications to maintain our home pc's, but maybe i'm asking too much

• User profile image
    Evilsushi

*Better control over where and how programs start up.  Exp: Like if when i open windows media player, maybe i want it to maximize on a second monitor, or maybe i want Internet explorer to only open to cover half my screen.  Maybe we can set the program how I want it and then press "windows" button + "S" to save the window configuration.  I don't know if this combo is taken or maybe this feature is there already i just don't know it. Let me know if it already exist.

Also better Multi monitor support and configurations

And I second the centralized printing interface, I really hate all the crap the printer vendors put on my computer.

Basically I would like a lot of the redundant programs eliminated

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

andur wrote:
    1. Bundle in the free command line compiler for visual studio that you can get. There's been quite a few times that I've been using a computer other than mine own and wanted to write a mini program.

2. The .Net framework to be installed on every single machine and auto-updated via windows update.

The .Net Framework is already updated through WU if you have it installed. And .Net 2.0 is included with Vista, which also makes the C# and VB compiler always available, as well as msbuild.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Evilsushi wrote:
    2. Skinable windows interface.  PLEASE microsoft this is a biggie for a lot of UBER users out there who like to customize our gear.

Finally someone said it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.