Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PDC version of VS2005 RC

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Has anyone used this? I can't even make a project, it just says "Creating project WindowsApplication2...project creation failed" in the status bar.

???

Also Microsoft Max won't install, the WinFX dies during install...

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

When you say that WinFX just dies during the installation of Microsoft Max... do you mean the installation window just closes, or does it provide some sort of error? If an error is report, please provide it so we can be of more help. It could be that you have an incompatible version of the .NET Framework installed.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

It says an error occured during installation, then removes files.

It worked with the .NET Framework 2.0 I had on previously, but the VS2005RC said it(.NET Framework 2.0) needed to be removed. So I'm guessing whatever version of the .NET Framework that comes with the VS2005RC isn't Max friendly Smiley

• User profile image
    DerekUK

Hi,

the problem you had is likely to be that the PDC VS2005 RC version uses  .Net 2.0 Framework v2.0.50727 .

Microsoft Max and the WinFX runtime September CTP were built for .Net 2.0 Framework  v2.0.50215 which comes with VS2005 Beta 2.

If you install Max on top of an installation with PDC VS2005 RC it
    attempts to put a copy of V2.0.50215 on the machine and fails from what I remember. This then leaves machine in a half and half state and breaks VS2005 RC like you describe.

I was bitten by exactly this myself so for now I have reverted to VS 2005 Beta 2 so everything lives happly together.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

So the best solution I guess is:

Reformat

Install Max/WinFX

Install VS2005RC

? Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

DerekUK wrote:

If you install Max on top of an installation with PDC VS2005 RC it
    attempts to put a copy of V2.0.50215 on the machine and fails from what I remember. This then leaves machine in a half and half state and breaks VS2005 RC like you describe.

I did a repair on the v2 framework install (Add/Remove programs, blah blah etc) and it recovered. However WMI is messed beyond believe.

I'll have to reformat at some stage.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.