Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WMI

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    LCARS

I have an application where I will need to display a good bit of system information (ranging from hardware to OS settings). My first thoughts were to use WMI.  However, I have heard of several instances of people experiencing memory leaks and such so im a bit worried. Im also concerned about the query time.

My questions are:

How fast is WMI? Since im going to be making a bunch of queries in a row (could be as much as 50 or so!). Will this take forever?

Also, has anyone else heard of/experienced memory leaks when using WMI?

Thanks a bunch!
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    mrichman

LCARS wrote:

I have an application where I will need to display a good bit of system information (ranging from hardware to OS settings). My first thoughts were to use WMI.  However, I have heard of several instances of people experiencing memory leaks and such so im a bit worried. Im also concerned about the query time.

My questions are:

How fast is WMI? Since im going to be making a bunch of queries in a row (could be as much as 50 or so!). Will this take forever?

Also, has anyone else heard of/experienced memory leaks when using WMI?

Thanks a bunch!
    Big Smile

WMI will never be as fast as the low-level Win32 calls it wraps. However, what you gain in convenience may outwiegh that. I wrote an entire IIS provisioning system in C# using WMI without any performance problems or memory leaks. Just use good coding practices and you'll be fine.

• User profile image
    Jachin

I think you should be fine. WMI is fairly robust and the only problem i have seen so far is that windows 2000 sometimes reports incorrect values.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.