Tech Off Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2005 RC

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Anyone here using the VS2005 Release Candidate?

Would you recommend it over beta2?
    What are your experiences with it?
    What are the most important improvements?

I'm downloading it right now, it's a BIG beast, 3.6 GIGABYTE!
    Luckily, MSDN downloads are pretty fast, so I'll have it in less than 30 mins! Smiley

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

• User profile image
    Sampy

Waaaaaaaaaaay better than beta 2.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Problem i'm finding is getting my test machine's to run. It works on my main development machine and my virtual dev machine. However all my test machines that i have wont work.

I iniatially thought it was my code. However it only crashs on the machines with just the framework installed on. The machines with VS installed work fine.

It looks like beta 2 has left stuff to break the RC. The 2.0 Configuration and 2.0 Wizards tools in Administrative Tools is missing.

But regarding Visual Studio RC it is way way better. Much more stable.

I'll post the solution to my problem...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Sampy wrote:
    Waaaaaaaaaaay better than beta 2.

<smeagol>I wants it!</smeagol>

Unfortunately I'm not an MSDN subscriber. Sad

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:
    Sampy wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaay better than beta 2.

<smeagol>I wants it!</smeagol>

Unfortunately I'm not an MSDN subscriber. Sad

Can any one offer me a torrent seed for VS2005RC?

Sheva

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Cyonix wrote:

Problem i'm finding is getting my test machine's to run. It works on my main development machine and my virtual dev machine. However all my test machines that i have wont work.

I iniatially thought it was my code. However it only crashs on the machines with just the framework installed on. The machines with VS installed work fine.

It looks like beta 2 has left stuff to break the RC. The 2.0 Configuration and 2.0 Wizards tools in Administrative Tools is missing.

But regarding Visual Studio RC it is way way better. Much more stable.

I'll post the solution to my problem...

OK my problem was using encryption on a tcp channel... guess that feature isn't ready yet.

• User profile image
    e_zolotko

Unfortunately, I found RC with some beta2 bugs fixed, but with brand new couple of bugs. Sad And things are going to be harder.
    One of my colleagues decided to send Microsoft the bug report related to one of these bugs.
    He recieved the reply next day. There was:

"Thank you for your bug report. This change is a bug that was introduced as a result of fixing other bugs related to the ListBox control. At this stage we are not able to make this change as it may destabilize the code as we are close to shipping. This is a tough decision but we will look at this bug for a future version.

thanks,
    mark
    program manager
    "

Quite frustrating! I am developing Windows Forms control and I know that RC have several bugs in Forms Designer that make my control unusable in design time. At the same time VS Bug tracker have several hundreds of bugs submitted only during last week, and almost all of them were closed (!)  with "Postponed" status. So what can I do? Redesign my control to "match" new buggy VS release??

Great approach! As my colleague sad: "In the car industry there is an approach: if engineers find a serious product defect, the whole lot is getting off the market. I see, unfortunately, this approach is not using in software developing industry".

• User profile image
    amotif

Obviously MS doesn't think that the bug you filed is a "show stopper"--that is, not worth of holding up the release process in order to fix it.

You can help them see why it is a show stopper or, more likely, learn to live with it.

• User profile image
    e_zolotko

amotif wrote:
    Obviously MS doesn't think that the bug you filed is a "show stopper"--that is, not worth of holding up the release process in order to fix it.

You can help them see why it is a show stopper or, more likely, learn to live with it.

Sounds reasonable. But what about that hundreds of bugs that were postponed until they will release a patch (oh, I do realize, they always can release a patch Mad)? And what about that bugs that weren't submitted? Which of them will be "the show stoppers"? Or show must go on anyway?

• User profile image
    mawcc

Generally I'd say that VC 20005 RC is a smoother experience than Beta 2. The IDE just feels a little bit more responsive.
    The downside so far is that I almost immediately ran into a nasty new bug (having to do with interactive sort in reports when using German language settings) and a change in specification which was nowhere documented (having to to with naming conventions for "old values" in data source controls which requires you to change your code in order to make it work again).
    You also have to consider that there is no Go-Live license with this release. Which is kind of strange because it says something like "vastly improved quality over previous CTP and Beta releases" in the download description.

• User profile image
    Simo

Anyone know if it's likely that there will be release candidates for the Express product range as well?

• User profile image
    athan

Simo wrote:
    Anyone know if it's likely that there will be release candidates for the Express product range as well?

I don't think MS will offer Express editions RC a month before final release (Nov 7).

• User profile image
    Simo

sakisp wrote:
    Simo wrote: Anyone know if it's likely that there will be release candidates for the Express product range as well?

I don't think MS will offer Express editions RC a month before final release (Nov 7).

True, do you think this means that the VS05 Team Edition won't be launched in Nov?

If I remember rightly the the team server product sliipped it's release to the new year??

• User profile image
    Tensor

It is way more stable than beta 2, but still has a few flake outs. Definatley usable though.

Form designer should allways have been like this... The way it snaps to align with the text on other controls is lovely.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

/sigh ... Time to begin the countdown to VS 2005 SP1, I guess.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

It's indeed looking good so far Smiley

Will projects written in this RC work without any changes in the final release?

• User profile image
    Sampy

JChung2006 wrote:
    /sigh ... Time to begin the countdown to VS 2005 SP1, I guess.

Most bugs that get postponed have workarounds. What problem are you running into? Maybe I can dig up a workaround for you Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.