Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Bug in Microsoft Edit Control

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Viscount​Pherget

I think I found a bug in the Edit control that is e.g. used by Notepad. To reproduce the bug do the following: 1. Create a new .txt file 2. Open it with Notepad 3. Write "aaaaaaaa aaaaa aaa aaaaa" without the quotes (other letter combinations also work but not all) 4. Close and save the file 5. Open the file again with Notepad Now you should see squares instead of letters. Maybe you can pass the bug to the responsible developer. Smiley

• User profile image
    cocosx

It seems to work - it's really strange Perplexed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I can verify this as well

• User profile image
    gregoryw

Yep, I can repro that on XP SP2 and 2003 SP1. Isn't it amazing how bugs like this can lay dormant for so long in frequently-used software like notepad!

• User profile image
    gregoryw

It would appear that an even number of letters followed by two groups of an odd number of letters seems to reproduce the problem. So, for example, this is also a problem: "qq qqq qqq".

• User profile image
    Roginator

Notepad seems to treat it as unicode.

I see chinese characters when opening up "aa aaaaa aaaaa", but I know I have that character set installed.

Wordpad opens it fine.

• User profile image
    mlopat

If you save it as unicode, instead of ansi, the correct data is retained.

• User profile image
    footballism

I can verify this potential bug too, could any body here explain the reason behind it? From the very begining when I saw this thread, I just thought it might be the text encoding problem, but after my close examination, it's not:(

Sheva

• User profile image
    fergbrain

I have Tablet PC Editition 2005 and the bug works there too.

Of interesting note, I created the string in notepad and then opened the file up in Textpad and there was no issue. I also created the string in Textpad and opened in notepad and the squares come up again. So it looks like it doesn't have anything to do with the saving process in notepad.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

OMG!11
    dude, you're right!

• User profile image
    LCARS

Yup, I get:

"慡慡慡慡愠慡慡愠慡愠慡慡"

Wierd!

• User profile image
    AndyC

As always, Raymond Chen can tell you why this is

Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.