Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VB.NET will become dead language in the future?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hello guys,
       I am just wondering, with the new language c#, will vb.net become a dead language in 10 years from now?
    The trend i am seeing is that C# is converging all other language as in C# is going to be the top of the language pyramid

C# 3.0

VB.NET         other languages

So is it true? why are more and more developers choosing C# as their primary programming and development tool?

if C# is going to be the primer language of the future at micro-soft, why do they maintain other languages, why not make it C# and C++ , and that is it, or just C#, and thus people who are new to programming dont get confuzed and loose track of what they want to accomplish with having to learn so many different languages.

to me it seems that, having many languages, is mainly a Company EGO problem, each company want to say , oh most developers are using my dev tool  and blah blah blah,

why cant all companies just unite and make a one universal programming language, that you can do everything with, and that is easy in the same time?Perplexed

Like i started with vb6 as beginner, and became intermediate in it, then switched to C# directly because of the Multithreading need which was not available in vb6....... so i did, and it seems similar to vb in someways except syntax is different.

Its time to just have a Universal Programming Language that fits all and is easy to use, and learn!

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

One language to rule them all!

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I hope VB.NET isn't gonig to die in 10 years.  Microsoft has a history in popularizing the BASIC language.  It would be really sad if they were the ones to kill BASIC, too.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JChung2006 wrote:
    I hope VB.NET isn't gonig to die in 10 years.  Microsoft has a history in popularizing the BASIC language.  It would be really sad if they were the ones to kill BASIC, too.

They killed BASIC when they announced VB7 would just be a "VB-like" syntax as an alternative to C# for developing with the .NET framework.

Of course, VB4 onwards is totally removed from the original BASIC, where's "GOTO" and "PRINT", exactly?

• User profile image
    StretchMan

W3bbo is tight on target! VB.NET ain't your granppa's Basic!

It it a structured language, object Oriented to produce .NET IL!

I don't see why there should be only one universal language. On some occasion, C# may be the way to go, on others it's vb... heck... on other occasions it could also be Cobol.NET!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

StretchMan wrote:
    I don't see why there should be only one universal language. On some occasion, C# may be the way to go, on others it's vb... heck... on other occasions it could also be Cobol.NET!

COBOL.NET's main purpose in life is to allow COBOL programs from the 80's to be compiled to MSIL, then Reflected back into C#, making them future proof.

• User profile image
    gozap

Guys,
    I'ma afraid that you are going through the same "death throws" that Visual Foxpro has been going through for the las number of years.

Languages normally develop to suit their application needs and it is of no surprise that the lates re-incarnation of C# contains lots of elements that have been taken from Visual Foxpro - essentially designed as a data centric language from day one and improved on over the years to encompass full OOPS (the first M$ application development language to do so by the way).

In the case of VFP then the Language survives thanks to the installed user base refusing to put up with so called replacement languages and a dedicated but small development team at Redmond who constantly produce innovative extensions to the language which are finally being recognised by the Visual Studio team.

As a VFP/XBase developer of over 20 years our so called "alternatives" to VFP  are inevitably slower, contain less features and are in essence more complicated despite having 1000 times more development cash thrown at them. Similarly the attitude of some "snobish" developers that "Basic is inferior" has never held water with me - if it does the job then use it.

In my oppinion it's nice to see that finally M$ have accepted that there are other languages that are better at certain aspects of design/programming than the monolithic .NET framework and I hope that .NET continues to feed from the VFP legacy - if only so that my beloved language continues to be developed beyond the 2012 when M$ have promised to support it - which makes it that we HAVE outlived VB despite the cries of "the Fox is dead".

Long live diversity as I for one don't want to be forced down a route where there is only one tool for development. Remember Esperanto being the universal spoken language? look what happened to that.

Long live the Fox - and other diverse languages.

Dave Crozier

• User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

Pretty much what I have come to the conclusion that Visual Basic is used more for the business world and C# is used more by the computer science world.

I think the path that Microsoft (according to my MS developer champion) is going with VB as a configuration / RAD language which suites the business world. Bill Gates has personal interest in VB and I doubt if it will die in ten years.

I work on a team with guys that came from a C background and they rail on VB.net and cite things lacking in the language. Of course the MS VB team added those things for 2005 and now my team is eating crow. It’s more of “what I have experience in is the best language” and “what I don’t know sucks”.

I code in both but I am faster in VB and especially with 2005 it lends itself to RAD work which is the bread and butter of what I do for an engineering firm.

I can’t remember the number of VB developers out there but it is in the millions. Similar to Windows may not have started as the best OS out there but it won by install base.

Now according to my latest salary survey in info world C++ / C# / VB.net /ASP.net developers have salary differences in that order but not by big margins.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

If All You Have is a Hammer Everything Starts to Look Like a Nail.

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

Why would they kill off Visual Basic?  At the moment, there's practically no differences between VB.NET and C#, most differences are just on the surface (all the .NET framework, right?).  I would say in the future, each language will get a character back, and we'll see VB.NET target the SME, and C# target the enterprise.

I still think this is a diversion, the big issue is .NET or Java?  .NET's several languages that do the same thing, or Java's one language suits all.

I think that's the battle that'll continue to heat up over the next few years, not to say it isn't hot already!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.