Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Multiple document printing in Sharepoint 2003

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Hi All,

I have a question regarding document libraries and printing in SPS2003.
    Maybe you guys can help me out here. Wink

I have a doc library, containing various kinds of documents, i.e. pictures, Word docs, PDF's and more...

As always, the documents are in different formats. Some are in portrait, some are landscape mode. Some are standard A4 size, some are smaller, some are bigger.

Let's say, I have 3 Word docs, 2 Powerpoint presentations, 4 pictures and a PDF file inside a document library. I now want to print the contents of the doc library in one step.
    Meaning I don't want to prompt the user 10 time for which printer to use. Instead I want to prompt him once and then launch the printing automatically.

Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?

Thanks in advance!

Stitch2.0

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

come on people! Wink

Please help me out here, for once, I conviced my boss that it might help to ask here first before hiring some overpaid consultant. Tongue Out

Any ideas?? Anyone??

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The only option is to create an ActiveX control (IE only, I'm afraid, unless you install that ActiveX extension for Firefox, but that still leaves non-Windows browsers and Opera out).

There is some rudimentary printing API you can call from within ActiveX controls to control printing from a browser.

That's all I know, hope it helps.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Are SharePoint documents on the actual server, or are they BLOBs in the SharePoint SQL database? Maybe if they're in the database you could pull them out and print them one by one...or something Smiley

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

W3bbo wrote:
    The only option is to create an ActiveX control (IE only, I'm afraid, unless you install that ActiveX extension for Firefox, but that still leaves non-Windows browsers and Opera out).

There is some rudimentary printing API you can call from within ActiveX controls to control printing from a browser.

That's all I know, hope it helps.

Thanks, but that sounds a bit too complicated for this task. Wink

Harlequin wrote:
    Are SharePoint documents on the actual server, or are they BLOBs in the SharePoint SQL database? Maybe if they're in the database you could pull them out and print them one by one...or something

As far as my knowledge goes, they are stored in the database...
    But I would like not to touch the DB at all.

Anyways, it took me a couple of hours yesterday, but I think I came up with a solution...
    I guess we will convert and merge the files server-side into one PDF which the user then must open and print by hand...

Thanks for your answers anyway!!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.