Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Avalon Express

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Is it even necessary to start learning Windows Presentation Foundation if you only do web development? I always like to be ahead of things in terms of technology/knowledge, of course. But I don't see being able to use WPF for the web for several years. Not until Vista is out and even not until XP SP3 is out and then WinXP will be able to run web-based WPF stuff.

• User profile image
    rhm

No, forget WPF/Avalon for web development. MS loves to show off demos running in browser, but to launch a WPF application on the web would be like making the biggest plug-in faux pas ever. I mean everyone remembers websites where you'd go and get nothing except a message telling you to install the Director plugin. How many people actually installed the plugin and went back? Nobody. Now imagine if a website says that you need to be running IE7 and have WPF installed (Vista and XP only) before you can view the site. Forget it.

• User profile image
    Arran

For some people it has its place in Web Tech as a internal/intranet/extranet technology. 

But i dont believe its intended to try and replace something like flash.  So no i would not spend too much time thinking about how you can use it on web projects.  Not yet anyway...

• User profile image
    StretchMan

Arran wrote:
    For some people it has its place in Web Tech as a internal/intranet/extranet technology. 

But i dont believe its intended to try and replace something like flash.  So no i would not spend too much time thinking about how you can use it on web projects.  Not yet anyway...

Right on. This thing is for application development first. Not to replace Shockwave stuff. It's not in the same league anyway. It's something that would enlight the experience for Web Deployed Applications on intranet/extranet.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

StretchMan wrote:
    Arran wrote: For some people it has its place in Web Tech as a internal/intranet/extranet technology. 

Right on. This thing is for application development first. Not to replace Shockwave stuff. It's not in the same league anyway. It's something that would enlight the experience for Web Deployed Applications on intranet/extranet.

Not in the same league? WPF would blow Flash out of the water if it was a simple plugin to download.

• User profile image
    AthemeX

I believe you can actually check to see if the user browsing your website had WPF installed and then show the website as WPF and if not you can show a non-WPF site which is a much nicer experience rather then to display a message forcing the user to install WPF to view your site...

But then again I would also not yet think of it as a platform where many (public) sites will be built on.. yet!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Harlequin wrote:
    StretchMan wrote:
    Arran wrote: For some people it has its place in Web Tech as a internal/intranet/extranet technology. 

Not in the same league? WPF would blow Flash out of the water if it was a simple plugin to download.

Except it won't be a simple plugin to download:  WPF requires the whole WinFX runtime and .NET version 2; the former being 2.2MB and the latter being 22.9 MB.  Both require a restart, which is not a good thing when surfing the web.

And it would leave people with older versions of windows or other OS's in the dark:  it will only run on XP and Vista, whereas Flash has plugins for Windows 95 through XP, Mac OS, Linux,...  Even Java supports all these platforms:  It can even run on Windows 95!!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.