Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ddraw.h and Visual Studio 2005?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    lagouyn

Hello,

I have Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2, and I'm compiling a project that includes ddraw.h.

This yields a compile error:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ddraw.h': No such file or directory

Compiling this project under VS2003.NET does not yield this error.

Do I need to (re) install the DirectX SDK and/or the Platform SDK?

If yes to either, will the latest version of either work with VS2005, or do I need any kind of special version? If the latter, from where would I get these.

Thanks in advance.
    -Allan

• User profile image
    Minh

DON'T install the latest DirectX SDK. DirectDraw has been pulled out of the SDK for at least a few releases. The SDK you've got still has it in, so if you want to continued using it, don't uninstall it.

Chances are the path to ddraw.h isn't in your include path. Find where it is & add it to your environment & you should be fine.

• User profile image
    lagouyn

Thanks for your reply.

My VS2005 installation does not include ddraw.h (well, it does, but in like the Smartphone and Mobile folders, something like that--not in the main include folder).

I do have ddraw.h in my VS2003.NET include folder, but I'm not sure that I want VS2005's include search path to include that location, even if I were to place it low in the lookup order?

Thoughts?

-Allan

• User profile image
    talemin

How did you resolve this eventually? Expressionless

I got the same error with vs2005+sdk r2; ddraw.h is included through <DShow.h> and not found!

i haven't any directx sdk installed ( and i don't want any if possible!) and the only ddraw.h in my computer is in 'debugging tools for windows', but including this directory in vs2005, no matter folders order, brings out a lot of definition errors in ddraw.h itself...Sad

• User profile image
    Gravy Jones

talemin said:
    How did you resolve this eventually? Expressionless

I got the same error with vs2005+sdk r2; ddraw.h is included through <DShow.h> and not found!

i haven't any directx sdk installed ( and i don't want any if possible!) and the only ddraw.h in my computer is in 'debugging tools for windows', but including this directory in vs2005, no matter folders order, brings out a lot of definition errors in ddraw.h itself...Sad
    I encountered this flipping error when trying to use TAPI3 from Visual Studio 2005.  (Same code works out-of-the-box on Visual Studio 2008)  The only ddraw.h files in existence were for the smartphone and the pocketpc.  I copied one of them (they are same) into the PlatformSDK\Include directory.  After compiling I got some more errors where the compiler didn't know what a DIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 or DIRECTDRAW7 was.  This upset me enough to get out a hack from my back pocket.  Just before including TAPI3.h I added the following, which fixed my compile errors and let me run code that works without modification on Visual Studio 2008.

struct LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 {};
    struct LPDIRECTDRAW7 {}; 
    #include "Tapi3.h"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.