Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Forms 2.0 vs. Windows Presentation Foundation

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    mawcc

Now that Windows Forms 2.0 is (almost) available and WPF is not too far away, I'm wondering how these 2 UI Frameworks are positioned.
    Windows Forms 2.0 brings some desperately needed improvements which make it easier to develop current generation (Office 2003-Style) UIs.
    At the same time a new UI paradigm is introduced with WPF, definitely changing the way UIs look, feel and are developed.

So is Windows Forms 2.0 destined to be very short lived, superseded by WPF in less than a year, or will it still be the better choice for some applications afer the introduction of WPF?

I'm currently doing some Windows Forms 2.0 developement and at the same time trying to get a hold on WPF (using "Programming the Windows Presentation Foundation" by Chris Sells and Ian Griffiths, which is very good so far), but it would be nice to have some guidance on which technology to use for different problems. It's a time where Windows developers have an awful lot of new products and technologies to learn, so I hope that MS will clearly position each of them.

What do you think?

• User profile image
    Thomas​Scheidegger

both will coexist for long time.
    Note, WPF will be available on XP/2003/Vista only.

• User profile image
    footballism

mawcc wrote:

at the same time trying to get a hold on WPF (using "Programming the Windows Presentation Foundation" by Chris Sells and Ian Griffiths, which is very good so far)

Can you share this good book with me?Tongue Out

Sheva

• User profile image
    Thomas​Scheidegger

Programming Windows Presentation Foundation

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/avalon/

• User profile image
    Arran

i have been reading that book as well.  Over 1/2 way and its very good!  Must buy if you're interesting in looking at WPF now!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.