Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MasterPages and App_Code

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    RussianCross

Hello everyone!

Can anybody tell whether is is possible to access some element on the master page from the class located in App_Code and how?

Let's say i have <asp:Label id="myLabel" runat="server" /> on the main master page + I have myClass.cs located in App_Code.

In the code of the master page I write something like:

private myClass objMyClass = new myClass();

How to access myLabel from initiated objMyClass? I presume I should transfer the current context handle to the class, may be not...

Thank you very much in advance.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

If you do not inherit from System.Web.UI.Control then you need to pass a reference to the Page object ( this or me ). Otherwise use the Page property provided by your parent.

To get reference to the MasterPage you need to traverse to it. I say that because MasterPages can inherit from MasterPages. So use the Master (I believe don't have VS in front of me) to access the Master of a current Page. It will aslo have the same property for it's Master. If the Master is null then you are at the top of your hierachy.

Hope this helps.

FDB

• User profile image
    bitmask

Depending on what you want to do, it can be tricky. The code inside App_Code compiles into an assembly before any of the web forms or user controls. All of the web form, master page, and user control code will reference the App_Code assembly and not vice versa, so you can't interact with the master page in a stronly typed manner unless you define a base class in App_Code for your master page to derive from, or an interface for your master page to implement.

I have an example showing how to access a user control via an interface defined in App_Code, you could do something similar for the master page.

Making any sense?

• User profile image
    RussianCross

Thank you very much bitmask for the reference! Looks usefull.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.