Tech Off Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel9 website problem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

Notice anything wrong???

How bout now?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The "Login" text is displayed.

...and?

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

top left

• User profile image
    Maurits

Ah, I see, you're logged in with no way to log out...

Let me guess, you sign in with Passport?

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

yup, I just thought the passport thing was fixed.

• User profile image
    burtriddley

you are using IE?

*ducks*

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

Yup, and I still like it. I only use firefox when I am testing my websites.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

I get the login button, even though I'm logged in.. ..and I didn't use passport..  and I'm using FF!

• User profile image
    Shark_M

maybe your bookmarked the website with that name, when you were logged into the website

• User profile image
    mule

Happens to me regularly.  Particularly bad in Firefox.  Have switched to IE6 for Channel9.  Logging in with Passport.

• User profile image
    Charles

Notice anything wrong? Yeah, you're not logged in...

C

• User profile image
    Angus

Charles wrote:

C

He is logged in, see the title bar, but the page has acted otherwise, see the login link, but no log out link.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Charles

I see that... Can you make a post in this state?

The UI just checks to see if the current user is authenticated. This is strange behavior.

I can't repro with or without Passport auth.

Any more details to share?

C

• User profile image
    blowdart

Charles wrote:
    I see that... Can you make a post in this state?

The UI just checks to see if the current user is authenticated. This is strange behavior.

I can't repro with or without Passport auth.

Any more details to share?

C

Oh I get it too. And have done. Since the revamp Big Smile

And remember the wiki won't pull out a passport username, you end up with an ID in the change list.

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

Charles wrote:

C

I have been writing these replies, so I am pretty sure I am logged in.

• User profile image
    Charles

Interesting problem. Can you provide any details about your configuration? Hard telling, not knowing. I can't repro on any of my machines. 

This is a bug that needs to be fixed. Thanks for alerting us of it.

For the Wiki Passport bug... When the HttpContext.User.Identity is a PassportIdentity, the User.Identity.Name value is the PUID of the PassportIdentity, not a Channel 9 Username, which is the case when the Authentication type is Forms.

Passport has no way of knowing that your PUID (your Passport unique identity) is asscociated with some string value in an application that uses it's auth services... When you are logged in using Forms auth, the Identity.Name value is your auth username, which is your C9 username.

I haven't spent much time thinking about a solution, but I do know that it will require a fair amount of work. This doesn't mean we won't fix it, of course. Just need to spend some quality time on the solution.

Keep on posting,

C

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

It seems to pop up mainly when I try to stay logged in. It doesn't happen every time, for example if I log out of passport and log back in, it seems to fix it.

• User profile image
    Charles

Now we're getting somewhere. You log in primarily using passport, right? What happens when you click the Login link when this strangeness occurs?

C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.