Tech Off Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PHP 5 V ASP.Net (2)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Jaz

So is MS worried about PHP 5.  are there any web devs here who might switch from ASP to PHP now?  if so why?  or why are you using PHP in the first place.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

I used to use PHP, but once I had the opportunity to write webpages in a real language, I took it.

I am speaking from a biased point of view, though. I've always hated PHP, and I don't think PHP5 is much of an improvement. It still lacks built-in caching, compiling, and debugging functionality, and the APIs are still haphazard, badly documented, and inconsistent. Don't even get me started on PHP error handling.

• User profile image
    StigWot

Here is an article comparing ASP.NET and PHP 5.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Wow, nice comparison, and surely not biased considering Oracle hates MS.

"Here's 3 lines about why ASP.NET sucks, and over there a novellization about why we think PHP is teh rox."

But whatever. This is the Internet, you don't get anything unbiased here.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

It's too bad Oracle couldn't actually be useful, and give us a comparison of comparable technologies - like maybe JSP versus ASP.net.

Next in the Oracle 'Apples vs. Oranges' series, two programming juggernaughts go head to head - Assembly versus JavaScript!

• User profile image
    UdoSchroeter

At my company we use PHP extensively because it's much more high level than anything else, which is good when you need exactly that. Sure, the APIs could be more consistent, and the language allows for very sloppy coding - but once you get around that you can have pretty extensible, scalable apps almost instantly.

The main danger of PHP is (at least in my opinion) that it allows you to produce very low quality code that still works. So, it may require a little more discipline to deliver a huge consistent app with PHP, compared to other languages.

Also note that, compared to others, PHP has a totally different API philosophy. Essentially it is very string-centered (but binary-safe), which *can* make web development hugely productive, if you manage to navigate around the inherent dangers of having basically no type safety.

One more thing about scalability. Yes, PHP is slow. That's because it compiles a file each and every time it gets called. There are probably two main reasons for this. First, it links "include files" dynamically at runtime, which can be used to pull off some pretty neat stunts - but the main reason is that the company behind it actually likes to sell the pre-compiler separately, so the free (interpreted) version is primarily intended for development and people who don't need to spend money on this. But all this doesn't apply to scalability. Actually PHP scales pretty well both in-memory and across multiple servers. It requires (comparatively) little memory and in my experience supports much more requests per minute than equivalently featured Java applications running on the same hardware.

You may all flame me now. (I know, there is a distinctive VB-like stigma associated with PHP)

• User profile image
    Kaelan

No flames here, you just clearly stated the advantages of PHP (and, on the other hand, some of the primary reasons I dislike the language.)

The things many people dislike about it can definitely be advantages if you know what you're doing.

• User profile image
    Manip

I love PHP, but I must admit it does have some very serious security problems. I mean it is really easy to write exploitable code and of course some of it is down to the programmer but either way it is what it is.

• User profile image
    EricsON

Ok all I can say is that is another typical Oracle comparison. No real technical comparison, just some lofty comments about how slow and expensive ASP.NET is. Well why don't they compare the technologies fairly and without any bias. Sure I like PHP and have used it quite a lot in the past.

Why don't Oracle compare PHP 4 & 5 vs ASP.NET 1.1 & 2.0b1 vs Oracle 9ias vs JSP on J2EE? That would be a really useful comparison if done properly taking into account the intended usage of the technologies.

• User profile image
    lars

If I have a free choice I prefer ASP.Net to PHP.  I've not found any really good tools to work with PHP and I like to have the full blown framework behind me. Being a lazy developer, leveraging the power of  Visual Studio gives me more time to read the daily Dilbert. =)

But alot of the time there are other things that are already present in the organization (platform, database vendor, webserver etc) that restricts the options one way or another. And PHP is a fun technology to work with. So I don't mind either of them. I thought the article was rather okey until I came to this passage:

"ASP.NET runs on IIS, which has been compromised innumerable times, as evidenced by IT news reports every other week. It has become such a liability, in fact, that in spite of all the marketing dollars spent on it, many IT professionals refuse to have their networks exposed with an IIS Web server."

Now, what is he talking about? What versions? How far back does those opinions go? When we talk about building something new on IIS the only thing that is really interesting is the current version. That is IIS6 on Windows Server 2003. His statement may be true for older versions. But that's not very interesting. Is his statement valid for IIS6?

IMHO: no.

Not a word in there on Code Access Security btw!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Troj

EricsON wrote:
    Ok all I can say is that is another typical Oracle comparison. No real technical comparison, just some lofty comments about how slow and expensive ASP.NET is. Well why don't they compare the technologies fairly and without any bias. Sure I like PHP and have used it quite a lot in the past.

Why don't Oracle compare PHP 4 & 5 vs ASP.NET 1.1 & 2.0b1 vs Oracle 9ias vs JSP on J2EE? That would be a really useful comparison if done properly taking into account the intended usage of the technologies.

I thought it very good how the two quoted examples of an Oracle DB attachement , not only don't do the same thing, the VB example does a lot more work in the same space.

VB is creating the connection, setting a query, reading and writing the output and then closing the connection. 

The PHP example opens a connection.

• User profile image
    ali1k

Hello.I read all of your comments.
    I am a PHP Developer and I am working with ASP.Net too.
    Best advantage of PHP is that It's easy tools to solve web problems.
    Maybe It isn't fully object oriented and It hasn't a good documentation
    and It hasn't a great sponsor like microsoft!
    But Please Open your minds,then Open your eyes and see your web environment
    see statistics about usage of PHP and then judge!
    You yourself must be a Driver.Power of Your Car Depends On your capabilities!
    The Power of PHP is inevitable.
     PHP is ugly duckling of programming languages....

• User profile image
    PhrostByte

I use PHP for small one page hacks (which iirc is what PHP was made for).  ASP.NET is much more organized, faster, and has a ton of backing.  I refuse to use PHP for large projects.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

ASP.NET is expensive with respect to memory usage and execution time, which is due in large part to a longer code path. For Web-based applications, these limitations can be a serious problem, because on the Web, your application is likely to scale to thousands and thousands of users per second. Memory usage can also become an issue on your Web server.

http://otn.oracle.com/pub/articles/hull_asp.html

from the same page;
    Security. ASP.NET runs on IIS, which has been compromised innumerable times, as evidenced by IT news reports every other week. It has become such a liability, in fact, that in spite of all the marketing dollars spent on it, many IT professionals refuse to have their networks exposed with an IIS Web server. PHP, however, works with Apache, which has a proven track record of speed, reliability, and hardened security. Check www.securityfocus.com for more information.

• User profile image
    Keskos

undefined

• User profile image
    Keskos

Here is I think the best comparison of these two platforms.

ASP.net is simply put better. Smiley No kidding.

What I like about php is that, it is in so many web hosts, you can write a web app and it will be available to so many people. That's something you can't do with asp.net easily.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.