Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Am I authorized to redistribute VisualUI.ttf?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Pascal

Hi,

I would like to use the VisualUI.ttf font file that comes with Visual Studio .Net1 in an application, but I first want to make sure that I am allowed to redistribute it. The way I use it is as an embedded resource in my assembly that I add to a PrivateFontCollection object, so the font is never installed in the system Fonts folder.

I've installed the Font Properties shell extension2 to look at the font's license but found none. But I saw on the "Embedding" tab that the "embeddability" for this font is "Installable embedding allowed", which is described as "fonts may be embedded in documents and permanently installed on the remote system".

From that description, I would assume that it is safe and legal for me to use it in my application, but I would feel more confident about it if someone from Microsoft could acknowledge that I really can.

Thanks!

Pascal

1. Located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE

2. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeProperty21.mspx

• User profile image
    RomSteady

Note: I'm not from Microsoft Legal.  I used to be employed by Microsoft, but this should not be construed as me speaking for Microsoft.

This one is a bit of a weird file, I admit.  The sole purpose of the font is to provide UI widgets as character glyphs.  While Visual Studio does provide a selection of graphics that can be freely redistributed when embedded, this font is not included in that folder.

Also, this file is not listed in redist.txt as one that allows redistribution.

However, the argument you could make is that you are attempting to ensure a standard user experience across products.

If I had to make a guess based off of how Microsoft handles things, I would say, "No."  The font file's sole use by Microsoft is as a support file for Visual Studio.  MSLegal would probably come across as thinking that if people start embedding one Visual Studio file without explicit permission, the next step would be to embed the IDE.  (They're paranoid like that.)

• User profile image
    Pascal

Thanks for your reply!

I agree with you that the file itself is not in the graphics folder (stuff that can be redistributed) nor in the redist.txt list, but on the other hand, it is a font file that specifies "Installable embedding allowed"... So I could argue that per the font embeddability point of vue, I can safely do it...

So if I look at it as a "data file", it's more ovious that I can't redistribute it. But if I look at it as a "font file", the font itself doesn't prevent me from doing what I want do to...

Pascal

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.