Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to turn off windows automatic logon?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    footballism

I'm currently using Windows XP SP2.

Sheva

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Create more than one user or set a password.

• User profile image
    yyy

Or maybe you can also try Tweak UI.

• User profile image
    out180

If you do Start... Run and type 'control userpasswords2' and press enter you'll get the local user accounts control panel applet.  Make sure the box is checked that says "User must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

For the reverse go to the applet above and remove the check box and click Apply.  You will then be prompted as to who you want to auto-login as.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Theres a registry entry for this can't remember off the top of my head but its just one value to change.

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

out180 wrote:
    If you do Start... Run and type 'control userpasswords2' and press enter you'll get the local user accounts control panel applet.  Make sure the box is checked that says "User must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

For the reverse go to the applet above and remove the check box and click Apply.  You will then be prompted as to who you want to auto-login as.

Nice tip! Do you have any other cool tricks I've never heard of?

• User profile image
    dcode

out180 wrote:

Nice tip out180... I going to check your earlier comments and messages. Lets see what you have...

• User profile image
    out180

dcode wrote:

Nice tip out180... I going to check your earlier comments and messages. Lets see what you have...

Oh crap, you're going to be disappointed. Tongue Out  

I'll word this trying to not sound like a blog advert but I post little tricks I learn there more than here.  My profile should link to it.

I'm glad you all found the information useful! Smiley

• User profile image
    footballism

out180 wrote:

Thanks for your wondderful trick

Sheva

• User profile image
    Olirockerdu​de

Is the "control userpasswords2" applet a bit of Win2k they left in? I'm just wondering because obviously the standard XP Control Panel is the main place for managing user accounts - other than that I use "lusrmgr.msc" Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Olirockerdude wrote:
    Is the "control userpasswords2" applet a bit of Win2k they left in? I'm just wondering because obviously the standard XP Control Panel is the main place for managing user accounts - other than that I use "lusrmgr.msc"

No, I use Windows XP and I have that panel available to me.

Since my computer is on a domain, I don't have the "friendly" "Users and Profiles" control panel, I have "userpasswords2" instead.

See?

The icon colouring's a bit off because XPIze doesn't integrate well with the "Admin" side of Windows (since XPero's never actually been in an NT Domain before)

• User profile image
    out180

I know somebody is going to prove me wrong, and that's fine, but here it goes.

In a non-domain environment how else would you get to the more "advanced" user control panel applet I describe above?

Here at home (non-domain) I only get, via the Users Accounts icon in Control Panel, the dumbed down silly excuse for an account manager.  I do not get anything remotely close to what is above. (actually this dumbed down one is 'control userpasswords') Smiley

Of course once you join a domain the local account manager changes and you get what W3bbo pictured above.  Technically it's just userpasswords2 w/o the Autologin checkbox.

Now, someone prove me wrong.  I know of no way to access the panel you get from "control userpasswords2" with your mouse (an icon) in a non-domain environment.  I haven't looked all that hard but I've also never run across it.

The userpassword2 applet is also the only place I've run across natively in XP that you can setup Autologin via a GUI.  That to me is what makes it special.  Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.