Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VB Express Backward Compatibility

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    doctorjlt

Is there any way to open a form created in VB Express in VB.NET 2003. In 2003, all the form info is in form1.vb, but in Express, apparently it's scattered through 3 or more files.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Nope. The VS2005 (any edition) forms designer uses partial classes which isn't supported by .Net 1.1.

• User profile image
    doctorjlt

Thanks Sven. I thought the old way worked easily and did what I needed. Guess I'll stick with the 2003 rather than a step forward into increased complexity.

Sad

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Just as an fyi, if you create a form in VS2003 and then copy it into VS2005, the designer will continue to use the old "Windows forms designer generated code" region method.

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

doctorjlt wrote:
    Is there any way to open a form created in VB Express in VB.NET 2003. In 2003, all the form info is in form1.vb, but in Express, apparently it's scattered through 3 or more files.

It only maintains backwards compatibility, not forwards compatibility. You can still open forms created in VS 2003 in Express, but not the other way around. You're really shooting yourself in the foot by not using all that .NET 2.0 and VS 2005 can offer.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.