Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New 64bit DUAL CORE Servers in the RAT CAGE... YAAAH

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Boogie

Who are the new animals in the rat cage?  Two new servers... 

HP ProLiant DL585,
    Four 2.4ghz AMD Opteron DUAL CORE processors,
    32GB of RAM,
    Four 32gb 2.5 inch SAS drives

If you are not familiar with what a multiple core processors can do for you, visit AMD's website where they have a great overview.  Here's a direct link to their multi core information.

If you want more information on this particular server, here's a link to HP's website on the 585.

I can post more pictures and detail photos of the guts of these beasts if you'd like.  Just drop me a comment below.

Here are some teasers (click on the pictures for larger versions):

The drive on the left is a normal Ultra3 drive.  The drive on the right is the new 2.5 inch SAS drive

http://blogs.technet.com/labrat

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Nice!

What OS are you running? Windows Server 2003 Datacenter? Or Enterprise?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:

Nice!

What OS are you running? Windows Server 2003 Datacenter? Or Enterprise?

Linux Wink

• User profile image
    Boogie

Sorry for the slow response...  I do most of my blogging over on the technet site.  Hehe...  no offense channel9.  Wink

Well...

As for the OS...  Our servers are rebuilt with each lab engagement so it doesn't stay one OS very long.  We custom build each lab engagement based on what the customer needs/wants.

Currently it is running Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise x64 Edition.  However, these boxes can run either 32bit or 64bit versions of Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server

You should be careful when it comes to which OS you choose, as it is different how each OS "sees" the processors.  This will have an effect on what operating systems will support.

For example, with dual core servers, Windows 2000 Server "sees" each core as a separate processor.  Windows 2003 Server, on the other hand, sees each socket as a processor.  That's because Windows 2003 Server was built with an "understanding" of dual core and hyperthreadable procs.  This will make a big difference on which operating system you choose for your dual-core boxes, especially if they are 4-ways.  For example, Windows 2000 will think that a 4-way dual core server is actually an 8-way.  This makes it necessary to run either Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.  This is because, Windows 2000 Server (standard) will only utilize 4 processors (in this case, 4 of the 8 cores).
    (By the way, I wouldn't suggest choosing Windows 2000 from the simple standpoint that it is reaching the end of it's support life).

Here is more information on what OS's support:

Number of processors supported 2 4 8 32 64
    Windows 2003 Server Web Edition        
    Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition      
    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition    
    Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition      
    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition IA64 (Note 1)    
    Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition IA64 (Note 1)    
    Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition x64 (Note 2)      
    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition x64 (Note 2)    
    Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition x64 (Note 2)
    Windows 2000 Server      
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server  
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Memory Supported 128 MB 256 MB 512 MB 1 GB 2 GB 4 GB 8 GB 32 GB 128 GB 1 TB
    Windows 2003 Server Web Edition          
    Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition        
    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition    
    Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition      
    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition IA64
    (Note 1)
    Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition IA64
    (Note 1)

Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition x64
    (Note 2)

Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition x64
    (Note 2)

Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition x64
    (Note 2)

Windows 2000 Server        
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server      
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server      

(Note 1) - Requires Intel Itanium based processors

(Note 2) - Requires AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon 64, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T, or Intel Pentium with Intel EM64T processors

Hope this helps,

Ciao,

- Boogie

Contact your TAM, ADC, MCS Consultant or other Microsoft Representative to find out how you can use our facilities

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Nice machine!
    We also use a lot of HP Opteron servers (but dual socket).

But I would NEVER go for these 2.5 inch drives, they are really a lot slower than their 3.5 inch brothers and sisters Wink

• User profile image
    androidi

dotnetjunkie wrote:
    Nice machine!
    We also use a lot of HP Opteron servers (but dual socket).

But I would NEVER go for these 2.5 inch drives, they are really a lot slower than their 3.5 inch brothers and sisters Wink

I could imagine that if everything is working right the disks won't be hit (much). For that purpose there's a fast enough pipe to storage servers.

• User profile image
    Boogie

Agreed.  We don't tend to use the local disks for much else than OS.  Most of the scalability testing we do involves large raid 10 arrays for storage, so it pretty much rules out the use of the local disks.  We will use either scsi attached or SAN storage leaving only the OS locally.

This, of course, may differ from the way that others may be using the box.

Boogie
    http://blogs.technet.com/labrat

• User profile image
    ssssstu

dotnetjunkie wrote:

Your not going to have the choice soon........HP are planning to phase out the old SCSI disks, the 2.5 inch drives will be a lot faster when the 15k rpm ones come out this year.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Now. THATS some evil servers.
    What are you gonna use such huges server for? The build labs? It seems to be a bit overkill to me, to just use them for a normal HTTP server, or a FTP.

• User profile image
    Boogie

Our labs are for scalability testing.  Customers bring in their custom-developed applications into our facilities and we help them make modifications to their code, configuration, etc to help them scale to higher capabilities.

These 585 servers will probably serve as either app servers or sql servers depending on what the customer wants to test.  We build the labs from the groud up to the customer's specifications.

I just posted more pics of the servers and sas drives at http://blogs.technet.com/labrat

I also have posted a datasheet on what we do in the labs at http://www.msftlabrat.com/docs/labs/Microsoft-Services-Labs-Datasheet.pdf

There's more info up on the labrat technet blog about the labs (right hand column)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.