Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Publishing RSS to Windows Calendar

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Larsenal

All over the Net I see hints that Windows Calendar may be able to publish over RSS.  I therefore assume that it can consome calendars over RSS.

Can anyone confirm this or provide reference material?

I'd love to make my current web apps "Vista Ready" in terms of PIM.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Are these hints regarding RSS, or XML? Isn't RSS tailored towards news stories, journal entries, blogs, etc?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Part of SSE (a Microsoft extension to RSS) seems to be geared toward event synchronization.  And in earlier Vista builds you could publish a calendar to RSS.

Mentioned as part of SSE on the Microsoft Team RSS blog.

"For example, why do your work and family calendars have to be separate?  With SSE you could share your work calendar with your spouse.  If your calendar were published as an SSE feed, changes to your work calendar could be replicated to your spouse’s calendar, and vice versa.  As a result, your spouse could see your work calendar and add new appointments, such as a parent-teacher meeting, or a doctor’s appointment. Moreover, SSE could be used to replicate a set of calendar entries among a group of people, each working in a different company and using different infrastructure."

From the Opera community
    "So let's say you have a family computer and want to know what each member of the family's schedule looks like - Windows Calendar is just the program for that. But let's go further - to the more exciting stuff. You can share these calendars...or "publish" them. In Build 5219, there was an option to publish as RSS but that seems to be gone in this build (again, please bring this back!)."

From WinSuperSite
    "In Windows Vista, Microsoft will be dramatically improving some of the baseline productivity features of the Windows OS. That means, among other things, that the system will include a consolidated contacts store that the company expects all email and related solutions to use or synchronize with, and a new Windows Calendar, similar to Apple's iCal, that, among other things, In Windows Vista, Microsoft will be dramatically improving some of the baseline productivity features of the Windows OS. That means, among other things, that the system will include a consolidated contacts store that the company expects all email and related solutions to use or synchronize with, and a new Windows Calendar, similar to Apple's iCal, that, among other things, lets you publish your schedule to standard ICS (Internet Calendar System) format and even to RSS (Real Simple Syndication)"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.