Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Interface design with Avalon?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    geekling

What's the story on user interface design with Avalon? Any good designers that pump out Xaml code available yet? I'm looking to get my feet wet with WPF.

On a similar note, where's the Xaml compiler at? Its not included with the WinFX Runtime (November), so I'm wanting to know if its included with the SDK before I download that 700MB behemoth.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Everything you need is found in the CTP's. Read this page here for the installation order of the required components.

As for interface design, Microsoft is working on Sparkle, part of the Expression suite,  which is currently only available to MSDN subscribers.

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Try Aurora. It's not pretty but it gets the job done.

And hold on. Sparkle is available to MSDN subscribers? I need to find a leak! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    keeron

Sparkle is not yet available on MSDN. I think the above sentance was incorrectly written - Expression suit is "sort of" available...(Only the Acrylic product is there, and I think you an even get it free from Microsoft downloads).

If you want Sparkle or Cider (VS integration) then at this point you either need to join the ISV Ascend program (large corporations can join this so they get internal daily bits) or find someone who wants to risk the job and leak it on BT Wink

• User profile image
    geekling

Thanks for all the great links!

• User profile image
    z33driver

The other thing you could do is download a trial version (or buy if you find it works well for you) of Adobe Illustrator.  Design your user interfaces, and then use the XAML exporter plug-in.  I believe there's a link in the Wiki.  This will get you some rudimentary capability for the time being, although I'm sure the plug-in will continue to improve over time.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.