Tech Off Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Live Mail beta

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    gaelhatchue

I just got my invitation to the live mail beta program. I clicked on the link to join, and everything went well. But I don't see the new mail app anywhere. i did notice that the size of my mailbox is now 2GB. But I have no idea how to turn on the new UI and functionality.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    out180

Accept the invitation from your hotmail account and follow the prompts. 

If you get lost in the mix you can access the new interface by going to:

mail.live.com

Of course this is only after you accept the invitation.

--

Initial impression is good.  The interface is nice, very Exchange 2003 OWA like.  Speed is decent and the layout is useable. 

The bad thing is that it's Hotmail, or Hotmail on steroids at least.  That service hasn't been usable to me in years.  You can't even create a new account on Hotmail without being SPAM'd within the first day.  Hell, you don't even have to use the address anywhere and the SPAM still comes... it's like magic.  Smiley  Of course, that could change with Live. 

• User profile image
    gaelhatchue

out180 wrote:
    Accept the invitation from your hotmail account and follow the prompts. 

If you get lost in the mix you can access the new interface by going to:

mail.live.com

Of course this is only after you accept the invitation.

--

Initial impression is good.  The interface is nice, very Exchange 2003 OWA like.  Speed is decent and the layout is useable. 

The bad thing is that it's Hotmail, or Hotmail on steroids at least.  That service hasn't been usable to me in years.  You can't even create a new account on Hotmail without being SPAM'd within the first day.  Hell, you don't even have to use the address anywhere and the SPAM still comes... it's like magic.  Smiley  Of course, that could change with Live. 

mail.live.com is redirecting me to the old interface. By old I mean the current hotmail interface.
    Any other ideas?

• User profile image
    sundararajan

Hi,
      i received my live mail invitation , but when i try to accept the agreement the following comes up

Sorry! It looks like you can't be in the Mail beta.

This could be because

• You're under 13
    • You have a parentally controlled account
    • Mail beta isn't available where you are
    Y is this so. definitely i am not under 13.
    what do u mean by parentally controlled account.
     i am from india. is the live beta available for indians.

regards,
    sundararajan.s
    http://aspspider.net/sundararajan

• User profile image
    barrieo

i don't think Live Beta is available in India.

• User profile image
    wojtekk

And I have a problem Sad My storage was updated and I saw error: Oops, the invitation you're trying to accept has already been used. Better contact the person who invited you and ask them to send you a new invitation.

• User profile image
    athan

sundararajan wrote:
    Hi,
      i received my live mail invitation , but when i try to accept the agreement the following comes up

This could be because
    • You're under 13
    Y is this so. definitely i am not under 13.
    what do u mean by parentally controlled account.
     i am from india. is the live beta available for indians.

Same problem here (Greece). I've got my invitation but live mail seems doesn't like Greeks too Sad

• User profile image
    megame

This could be because

• You're under 13

Same problem over here: Serbia and Montenegro...

• User profile image
    jwignall

I got my invite, GREAT! I tried to click on the Join Now link and lo and behold the link didn't work. Turned out I had to use IE with my (old) hotmail account for the link to work... I'm too lazy to look at the source to see what they had done...

New live mail is quite nice. No FF support in there as yet but basic mail reading functionality is available so it's a little better than the live.com FF initial offering.

I know it's old hat and has been written abou a million time before but I SO wish the devs on these apps would schedule in some time for FF support cuz they would instantly have the backing of (almost) every web developer out there who would say "yeah, MS has really turned around. They're open and they give a damn about us" rather than "MS has got some great ideas but they are still trying to control the web rather than embrace it"

The simple fact is that apart from xmlhttp or AJAX you can use modern DOM scripting in both IE 5+ and FF/Mozilla/Netscape, Safari/Konquerer and for the most part in later versions of Opera. Why isn't this support going in from the ground up?

Anyway, as you may be able to tell I'm ranting following more IE stupidity this morning at the hands of valid code.

• User profile image
    Custard555

I wish I had an invite Sad

• User profile image
    out180

I'm sorry the instructions I gave in my reply aren't working for everyone.  There is obviously some other restriction at work here. 

Accepting my beta invite and logging into the new interface was as simple as I outlined above. Actually, even logging into hotmail.com redirects me to the live beta.

Perhaps in a few days they will line it out for everyone.

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

eh, brag, brag, brag...

• User profile image
    out180

Alt-F4 wrote:
    eh, brag, brag, brag...

Nothing to brag about.  It's not like we're talking about GMail or anything.  [6]  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

It's not really as exciting as some made it out to be...  right now Microsoft is still playing catch-up with Google.  It's an improvement over the Hotmail interface, if you use that regularly, but otherwise you'd be better off using gMail, Outlook, or Thunderbird.  The search is still lacking and it won't support most of its features on Firefox.

I am kinda fond of the spell-checking, though.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Custard555->  Check your Hotmail e-mail, you might have an invite.  They put out a new batch yesterday or today, it appears.

• User profile image
    mastermine

Yea i got an invite saddly i dont use my MSN accout any more because of SPAM! Sad

• User profile image
    Custard555

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Custard555->  Check your Hotmail e-mail, you might have an invite.  They put out a new batch yesterday or today, it appears.

Nope!no sign of an invite! maybe they don't like people from the UK :O

• User profile image
    candseeme

First You Need To undrerstand that Microsoft programs targets specific regions or countries then it spreads allover the globe

the first launch ,  the program targets the first world countries or to be more specific the western society North america and western europe

then it moves

so apparently it is not because you under 13 or parental control (BTW Parental Control can be set from your profile's page go to www.microsoft.com and in the very bottom you will find a link {Manage My Profile } )

Thanks[H]

Mad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.