Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Remote Desktop for Xbox 360

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Nicolas1967

    Hi, I'am not sure this is the right place for this but...

    Is there any chance we get soon Remote Desktop software for Xbox 360?

    That would be a Killer App to get the web-browser on a large TV screen with the avantage of not exposing the Xbox 360 to external threats such as viruses!

    A 2,4GHz wireless keyboard would be nice too!


    Thanks!

    -Nicolas

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Nicolas1967 wrote:
    That would be a Killer App to get the web-browser on a large TV screen with the avantage of not exposing the Xbox 360 to external threats such as viruses!


    Come back when you understand how viruses actually work, along with the concept of processor architectures.


  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    W3bbo wrote:
    Nicolas1967 wrote: That would be a Killer App to get the web-browser on a large TV screen with the avantage of not exposing the Xbox 360 to external threats such as viruses!


    Come back when you understand how viruses actually work, along with the concept of processor architectures.



    Oh, don't flame him for being a n00b.
    Anyhow, W3bbo is right, after all, the 360 really isn't in danger of being infected by viruses (least of all Windows specific viruses)

  • User profile image
    Lovezice

    That was so uncalled for.

  • User profile image
    TimP

    W3bbo wrote:
    along with the concept of processor architectures.


    What do processor architectures have to do with this? If you're implying that the non-x86 processor in the Xbox 360 is an issue, just look at Microsoft's Terminal Services client for OS X/PPC. I don't see any reason why TS Client wouldn't run on an Xbox, granted that it still wouldn't protect you from viruses/spyware.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    TimP wrote:
    I don't see any reason why TS Client wouldn't run on an Xbox, granted that it still wouldn't protect you from viruses/spyware.


    Even worse, perhaps, is that your archetypal home user thinks it makes them "immune" from viruses and thus engages in risky online behaviour.

  • User profile image
    jdewalt

    If i run a remote window program that transmits my input to the device and transmits rendered screens to me, I am not going to get a virus on my XBOX/PPC/etc. that is running the remote windowing program.

    I will however totally hose the machine i remoted into.

    So the XBOX would be immune in a way from the web viruses, I would just destroy the machine that was actually doing the browsing.

    I think that the poster was saying it would be better to browse this way rather than have the xbox directly browse since you wouldn't have to worry about xbox 'browser' having security holes or xbox specific viruses. You just protect the host machine, and the client wouldn't need much additional protection. (unless your remoting also has flaws)

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Actually... I wonder.

    As I said before, there's a video game company located down the road from me, I understand they have a few XBox 360 development kits down there (they've also had the PSP for over a year now), if I do get a placement there, I might suggest that they port Firefox or an open-source Terminal Services client over to XBox 360 and distribute the ISO over t'internet. (Since they have the dev kits).

    ....it's worth a shot Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Minh

    W3bbo wrote:
    Actually... I wonder.

    As I said before, there's a video game company located down the road from me, I understand they have a few XBox 360 development kits down there (they've also had the PSP for over a year now), if I do get a placement there, I might suggest that they port Firefox or an open-source Terminal Services client over to XBox 360 and distribute the ISO over t'internet. (Since they have the dev kits).

    ....it's worth a shot

    You do know -- all software that runs on the Xbox 360 HAS to be signed by Microsoft.

  • User profile image
    An_Angel

    Nicolas1967 wrote:

    Hi, I'am not sure this is the right place for this but...

    Is there any chance we get soon Remote Desktop software for Xbox 360?

    That would be a Killer App to get the web-browser on a large TV screen with the avantage of not exposing the Xbox 360 to external threats such as viruses!

    A 2,4GHz wireless keyboard would be nice too!


    Thanks!

    -Nicolas



    I can see where this may be going... Remote desktop into Xbox 360 from the office and play games at work... Wink 

    No work would ever be done if it had remote desktop capability!!!!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    An_Angel wrote:
    I can see where this may be going... Remote desktop into Xbox 360 from the office and play games at work...  

    No work would ever be done if it had remote desktop capability!!!!


    That wouldn't work, I tried it myself. (Well, not with an XBox, but with a video stream). My home connection has an upstream connection speed of 256kbps (22KBps real-world sustained), using my 6th Form's connection I was only able to get +5fps when the video was under 75px wide/tall.

    This article is about putting a TSC on the XBox, not the other way around Tongue Out

    Minh wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:Actually... I wonder.

    As I said before, there's a video game company located down the road from me, I understand they have a few XBox 360 development kits down there (they've also had the PSP for over a year now), if I do get a placement there, I might suggest that they port Firefox or an open-source Terminal Services client over to XBox 360 and distribute the ISO over t'internet. (Since they have the dev kits).

    ....it's worth a shot

    You do know -- all software that runs on the Xbox 360 HAS to be signed by Microsoft.


    Oh really?

  • User profile image
    n4cer

    Nicolas1967 wrote:

    Hi, I'am not sure this is the right place for this but...

    Is there any chance we get soon Remote Desktop software for Xbox 360?

    That would be a Killer App to get the web-browser on a large TV screen with the avantage of not exposing the Xbox 360 to external threats such as viruses!

    A 2,4GHz wireless keyboard would be nice too!


    Thanks!

    -Nicolas



    As far as Wireless keyboards go, you can probably use the Media Center Wireless keyboard. It uses the MCE infrared receiver rather than radio, and from what I've read, the 360 can work with MCE remotes so the keyboard may work as well. Though, as I understand it, keyboard support of any kind is only available at the dashboard and not in games.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.