Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PCI Express

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Anyone know if I can stick an 8x PCI-Express card in the 16x socket that is common on most motherboards?

I have a nice SATA-II RAID card but nothing to use it in!

Stephen

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PCI Express was designed so that any card can be placed into any slot with a "speed" number equal-to or higher than the card requires.

You can put a 1X card into a 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X, or 16X slot, but you can only put a 4X card into a 4X or above rated slot.

The slots are sized appropriately, 1X cards' connectors are only about an inch long and will fit in 16X slots, likewise a 16X connector is too big to fit in a 1X slot.

Comprendé? Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Excellent, thanks.

Stephen.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

So, I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I finally got round to buying myself a new motherboard Smiley

Problem is that the PCI-Express slot can only be used by a graphics card!  Want to use it for something else (like a RAID card) your out of luck.  I was not amused!

So that's gone back and a bit or research seems to indicate this is quite common Sad

So this is a request to find any recommendations for desktop motherboards that support generic PCI-e cards, if you have one that works could you post the make and model.

Thanks.

• User profile image
    cheong

PerfectPhase wrote:

So, I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I finally got round to buying myself a new motherboard Smiley

Problem is that the PCI-Express slot can only be used by a graphics card!  Want to use it for something else (like a RAID card) your out of luck.  I was not amused!

So that's gone back and a bit or research seems to indicate this is quite common Sad

So this is a request to find any recommendations for desktop motherboards that support generic PCI-e cards, if you have one that works could you post the make and model.

Thanks.

Err... I need clarification here.

Because I remember my RAID card for 8x SATA requires to be plugged in PCI-X 16 slot only. And because of this when  the last time the RAID fails, I can't move it to another motherboards here becuase other motherboards we use don't have PCI-X 16 slot.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

PCI-X and PCI-Express are two different technologies.

http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=308

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.