Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Reducing Size of Executable

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hello guys,

How do I reduce the size of an exe file. I have a file that has size of 4 MB, but i want to greatly compress it or something, to make it smaller

thanks

• User profile image
    sbc

UPX may be what you are looking for.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Shark_M wrote:
    Hello guys,

How do I reduce the size of an exe file. I have a file that has size of 4 MB, but i want to greatly compress it or something, to make it smaller

thanks

Is this a .NET or "regular" PE executable?

If this is a .NET app, you might want to consider removing all the *.resx resource files that you don't need. Also refer to the "Build" option for all non-code files in your project, you might want to change them to "None" instead of "Embedded Resource" to save space (and to prevent people from seeing things they shouldn't Wink )

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:
    Shark_M wrote:Hello guys,

thanks

Is this a .NET or "regular" PE executable?

If this is a .NET app, you might want to consider removing all the *.resx resource files that you don't need. Also refer to the "Build" option for all non-code files in your project, you might want to change them to "None" instead of "Embedded Resource" to save space (and to prevent people from seeing things they shouldn't Wink )

Regular PE exe. I got my 4.5 MB exe down to 2 MB -- but I've got lotsa compressibles in the resource section.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Write it in assembly.  j/k

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.