Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bypassing SDLC?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    mrichman

Why do you think many businesses do not use the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)?

Is it fear? Perhaps fear of change, cost of change, security (loss thereof), job, power, responsibility, etc?

I think most people internalize it as a risk, and most people are afraid of risk, even though the SDLC exists to minimize risk.

Maybe the SDLC poses a risk to individuals, calling for a critical analysis of what is being done?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

It's more of a time issue.  Following the SDLC (I'm assuming you are referring to the ISO9000 SDLC) takes a lot of effort and produces a lot of documentation.  The ISO system also requires that you follow the waterfall model and not everyone uses that methodology.

I currently work for a company that uses the SDLC.  We only really follow it because we provide software for validated companies (who have to get past the FDA).  It it weren't for that we'd use a leaner methodology.

I start a new job next month writing bespoke software for the leisure industry.  There's no validation required, so we will be using lean/agile methodologies.

The SLDC is simply not appropriate for all industries.  It's not a guarantee of high quality software, it simple makes it easier to audit the software development process.

Herbie

• User profile image
    mrichman

Given the various types of SDLC available, do you think it is best for a company to pick only one, train everyone well and follow that model, or should they pick the best SDLC fit for each project?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

We actually have two SDLCs -- the one for our main product is the full ISO SDLC, but we also specify in our operating procedures that for side projects (usually bespoke projects for customers) a smaller, simpler SDLC can be used as the project managers discression.

This works well for us.

An SDLC can be as hand-wavey as you want it to be, so a simplified, and slightly vague SDLC or operating procedure will allow you enough room to manouver for pretty much any project.

I would say that having one complete SDLC that everyone gets trained on is a good idea, if only to create a culture where software quality is considered important. 
    Having said that I would still allow the project manager to decide to use an alternative, as long as it is documented in the initial project/quality plan. If the manager want to do things differently they can, but they may have to train everyone before the project kicks off.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.