Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dynamic distribution lists in exchange

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Is there a way to create a dynamic DL in Exchange?  I have a system that tracks who's in the building and it would be nice to be able to send an email based on that information.

The only way I can think of at the moment is to create a dummy address list, i.e. 'People on Site' and then write an SMTP event sink that re-writes the address list with the corect list of users.

If anyone can think of a better way, I'd love to know.

Stephen. 

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

Well, dynamic distribution lists in Exchange are called Query-based distribution lists.

Theoretically, something like this could work, but QBDL's work based on an LDAP query.  Your tracking system would have to be able to dynamically update a certain attribute for all users.  If your system can do that, then you should be in luck.

I should add that QBDL's require Windows 2003 AD and at least 1 Exchange 2003 server.

If your tracking app can modify user information, you might consider using one of the custom attributes (ExtensionAttribute1 - 15) on a user account for this.

Ben

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

An intreasting idea.  Keeping it all in sync could be an issue though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.