Tech Off Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Do I need to keep *.ost files?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I was sorting through my Outlook files earlier today and I happened accross a few *.ost files of mine that I renamed to "*.ost.old" for some reason.

All my email is now on my Exchange server, so do I need to keep any *.ost files?

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

W3bbo wrote:
    I was sorting through my Outlook files earlier today and I happened accross a few *.ost files of mine that I renamed to "*.ost.old" for some reason.

All my email is now on my Exchange server, so do I need to keep any *.ost files?

OST files are Offline Mail Store files, which contain a synchronised copy of your Exchange mailbox, if using Cached Exchange Mode (Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003) or Offline Store (earlier versions). If you're having sync problems one of the easiest things to do is delete or rename your OST file and get Outlook to create a new one.

Unless you were offline at the time, there shouldn't be any unsynchronised changes in the OST files, so you can just delete them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.