Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Recommend a dual DVI, 1200x1600 (portrait) AGP video card?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    amotif

I'm on the hunt for an AGP video card that supports dual DVI outputs to at least 1200x1600 in portrait mode. I'd like to set up dual LCDs in portrait mode.

Does anyone with experience with cards capable of this? Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Get an nVidia GeForce 6 or 7 series card. All the 7000 series cards are now dual-DVI, some of the 6000 series cards are DVI/VGA but come with an adapter.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I love my nVidia GeForce 6800.  Works like a charm!

• User profile image
    amotif

Thanks for the input.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

I run a setup like that.

Dual LCD TFTs, both 1600x1200, on DVI.

My videocard is an XFX 6600 GT (nvidia).

Works very well Smiley

• User profile image
    dentaku

Yup, Nvidia cards have a feature in the drivers that let you turn the screen 90 degrees. The cheapest decent card would be a Geforce 6600GT and I know some of them have dual DVI. The newer more expensive models like the 7800 are even easier to find with dual DVI.

The only thing I can think of that might not be so good is that Cleartype probably works better with the monitor in landscape mode.
    I think Bill Hill mentioned something about that in his latest C9 video.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

After a lot of experimenting, I found the best workable setup to be 1 screen in landscape mode, and the other one in portrait mode!

Then you can have the best of both worlds.  You need the landscape screen for video for example, but applications like Outlook are PERFECT to run in portrait mode.  Or you can code in VS on your landscape screen, and have the webpage or application you're working on on your portrait screen next to it!

• User profile image
    amotif

Thanks again for the input. I am up and running 1200x1600 portrait mode with a 6600 GT and the second monitor is on order.

Cleartype may work better in landscape mode, but for my tastes it's still better than nothing in portrait mode. Will soon see if switching to DVI cables helps.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.