Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why set the startup type of the "automatic updates" service to automatic for updates?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    gabriel.​lozano

Is there any reason in particular why the Microsoft Update site requires that the startup type of the "Automatic Updates" service is set to "automatic". Apparently it is not possible to download updates from the site if the service's startup type is set to manual even if the service is started. I just don't want a service running constantly consuming +5MB or physical memory just for an occasional update.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

gabriel.lozano wrote:
    Is there any reason in particular why the Microsoft Update site requires that the startup type of the "Automatic Updates" service is set to "automatic". Apparently it is not possible to download updates from the site if the service's startup type is set to manual even if the service is started. I just don't want a service running constantly consuming +5MB or physical memory just for an occasional update.

No idea, but I set it to "Automatic" whilst it performs the updates then shut it down again.

• User profile image
    amotif

Just a guess--update uses the BITS service to download the updates in the background. If update's service isn't running it won't be able to a) determine when updates are available or b) determine when BITS has finished downloading them and that they can now be applied.

Just a guess.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Could you add a new service that will always fail, and then add a dependency from the Automatic Updates service to that service?  That way you could get the Automatic Updates service to have a startup type of "Automatic" without it ever actually starting up.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Maurits wrote:
    Could you add a new service that will always fail, and then add a dependency from the Automatic Updates service to that service?  That way you could get the Automatic Updates service to have a startup type of "Automatic" without it ever actually starting up.
    Worst idea ever.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.