Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Problems with latest XP patch

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    starbux

Hello everyone,

Does anyone experience problems with the latest MS WinXP patch ? Cuz since I patched my system with the latest package, my CPU keeps on 100%ing a looot and I mean a lot. For a poor laptop, it isn't fun at all. This occurs mostly when I am browsing the net, using explorer and firefox. Besides new flash version has also a major bug in it. Any advice ? reaction ? Thanks

• User profile image
    Mar7in

Usually, I go through the following steps to diagnose constant high CPU usage problem:

1. Open "Task Manager" to check which process(es) are having constant high CPU usage.

2. If the image name looks suspicious, I would enter the image name into Google to search to see it is one of known exectuables (e.g. not virus / worms).

3. If Step 2 turns out to be virus, search solutions for virus removal. Else, search "XXXXXXXXX.exe high cpu usage" in Google to find out the cause of the high CPU usage. Chances are that others would have similar problem.

• User profile image
    rakhesh

Yup, I too seem to have this problem suddenly. I have my auto-update set to download and install before asking -- and after the last bunch of updates I notice my machine is a tad on the slower side.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Mar7in wrote:
    2. If the image name looks suspicious, I would enter the image name into Google to search to see it is one of known exectuables (e.g. not virus / worms).

Hate to deviate the original thread, but this tactic is largely redundant now.

Thesedays malwares use random string generators to name their spawned executables or name them after legitimate programs.

The danger with this is that people will post on the forums "I found a virus on my system that named itself 'svchost.exe'", so then some newblet user will discover their system has (several) processes named "svchost.exe" and immediatley kills them; then attributes their systems' immediate NT Authority-initiated shutdown on the fact the service host process was actually 'a virus'.

• User profile image
    starbux

Hey again and thanks for the answers,

actually I was familiar with the Task Manager trick with the google match Smiley that's the first thing I usually do. But I was monitoring my PC's behavior today and it seemed there is a leak of memory somewhere. Almost all my applications where shut down and I was still at 800 Mb/1263 of commit charge... so that is not normal at all.
    Anyways, thanks for the help, I will try to see what's up.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Mar7in wrote:
    Usually, I go through the following steps to diagnose constant high CPU usage problem:

1. Open "Task Manager" to check which process(es) are having constant high CPU usage.

Get ProcessExplorer from sysinternals, it has a right click->google this process option.

Stephen.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.