Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rename Exchange Mailbox

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Hi

Originally I thought Mailboxes were named after the User's "Display Name".

But after renaming a User's Displayname from Bar to Foo, then re-adding it to my Outlook "Open these additional mailboxes" list, Outlook initially displays the new name, then flashes back to the old name.

...even after I cleared my Local Settings\Microsoft\Outlook dir.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    patrickv

I don't know it it would help in this case, but you could try starting Outlook via File / Run, then type Outlook.exe /resetfoldernames

(You may need to add the full path to outlook.exe)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

patrickv wrote:
    I don't know it it would help in this case, but you could try starting Outlook via File / Run, then type Outlook.exe /resetfoldernames

(You may need to add the full path to outlook.exe)

Thanks for the help, but I just had it sorted; It turns out that Mailboxes are named after the User's "Display Name" property, but after changing that it still takes a few minutes for the change to be reflected elsewhere.

It's odd how it isn't mentioned once in the Exchange documentation.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

A lot of things take a few minutes to change in exchange (security settings for example), I have learnt this the hard way also! 

Stephen.

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

A lot of things (security settings especially) don't *have* to take a while to change.  Exchange caches some of the information relating to mailboxes.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327378
    and
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179065

both reflect this.  By modifying the Mailbox Cache Age Limit registry parameter (default is 2 hours) down to a more acceptable value (in my case, I use 5 minutes), most of those delays all but disappear, especially when dealing with security settings.

Ben

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.