Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A basic laptop for an old man !

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    gingibergs

Hi everybody,

my old uncle is a writer and has given up on using his typewriter. He has limied experience of computers but (almost) knows how to send e-mails and use MS Word. He still needs a machine, preferrably a laptop.

So, I was hoping that someone might point out a solid machine, not too expensive and with the basic stuff (Internal WiFi card, USB's and such).

Anyone ?

Kindest Regards

• User profile image
    W3bbo

There was this AOL-branded laptop from CompUSA that was dirt cheap, the only catch was that you had to sign into a 12-month AOL contract and put up with all the AOL-ware on the system.

• User profile image
    Minh

Whatever laptop you buy, put OneNote on it. It's great for a writer, especially one not too computer-literate. The best feature of OneNote is you don't need to save your work. It's auto-save. A great little feature.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    Whatever laptop you buy, put OneNote on it. It's great for a writer, especially one not too computer-literate. The best feature of OneNote is you don't need to save your work. It's auto-save. A great little feature.

OneNote's usefulness is limited by having a laptop that lacks pen functionality.

And to my knowledge, you can't import written dates or checklists in OneNote into Outlook.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

W3bbo wrote:
    OneNote's usefulness is limited by having a laptop that lacks pen functionality.

Not at all. I use it on a laptop all the time - scribbling isn't all it's good for. I use it for taking notes in class or writing down meeting notes. The main advantages are, as Minh said, the places where it tries to extend the pen-and-paper metaphor - either in the "if you wrote it it's saved" feature or the "click anywhere and start typing", without all the tedious layout Word forces you to go through.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.