Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Securing a dll

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

    hi guys,
    I wanted to know how to prevent someone else from using a dll that my app uses, and also prevent the app from working if the dll is changed in any way.

    second, a more general question, why when we double click on a file in the pc it opens, but when we click once it selects it.... this is a question i got asked by a friend of mine. so i wanted to see the answer to this also Smiley

  • User profile image
    footballism

    Shark_M wrote:

    I wanted to know how to prevent someone else from using a dll that my app uses

    Deloying that DLL privately, which means placing the DLL in your app's directory.
    Shark_M wrote:

    and also prevent the app from working if the dll is changed in any way.

    By signing the DLL, when that DLL is tempered with, the app using that DLL will complain about it.

    Sheva

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Shark_M wrote:
    hi guys,
    I wanted to know how to prevent someone else from using a dll that my app uses, and also prevent the app from working if the dll is changed in any way.


    Assuming they're .net DLLs and apps; you can use stong naming and code access security.

    By signing the DLL and referencing the strong named DLL in your application the DLL cannot be replaced, because the new DLL won't have the correct key attached to it.

    To stop others using your DLL you can apply a StrongNameIdentityPermission CAS demand to your methods, so only code from a correctly signed caller will be allowed.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.