Tech Off Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Browser Gets Shutdown automatically?!

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hi guys,
    I visit some websites, and the website Closes my Browser , FireFox and The normal IE?
    How is that possible? and how to prevent this?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What websites? Always the same or is it random?

I've had both FF and IE close without warning or error messages on certain sites, and that time it turned out to be the Sun Java VM that caused it.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

specific sites, and i also notice that this happen when my firewall blocks the site's IP, so i dont know why??

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

Shark_M wrote:
    specific sites

You didn't answer the question. What websites?

• User profile image
    Shark_M

www.cnn.com, www.mugglenet.com.

and some others i cant remember now

i visit them, and they shutdown my browser, and i notice that this happens when the firewall blocks the ip of the website

very strange indeed

• User profile image
    MasterPi

curious...a friend was having a similar problem upon visiting the website www.fxhome.com

Can you check there to see whether your browser shutsdown?

• User profile image
    Angus

My school has used this occurance to aid it stop access by pupils to "unsuitable" sites; they have made it so that if you go on certain sites, it does not just block you off them with a stupid error about DDR score, or something else, it shuts down the browser. Sadly they have put http://www.rwdmag.com on the blocked list. Sad

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    footballism

Angus wrote:
    My school has used this occurance to aid it stop access by pupils to "unsuitable" sites; they have made it so that if you go on certain sites, it does not just block you off them with a stupid error about DDR score, or something else, it shuts down the browser. Sadly they have put http://www.rwdmag.com on the blocked list.

Angus Higgins

Another Shallow Copy of the Great Firewall of China.

Sheva

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    My school has used this occurance to aid it stop access by pupils to "unsuitable" sites; they have made it so that if you go on certain sites, it does not just block you off them with a stupid error about DDR score, or something else, it shuts down the browser. Sadly they have put http://www.rwdmag.com on the blocked list.

Angus, a lot of the IT techies at schools are actually quite nice people, those firewalls and blacklists are there so the school doesn't get sued.

If you manage to bypass it in an extremly impressive way (with absolutely no malice) then they're likely to ally with you, if you befriend them enough they might even delegate administration tasks to you, just ask mvpStar.

Or just do what I did and set up a Terminal Server and take advantage of MS Office macros.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

mVPstar wrote:
    curious...a friend was having a similar problem upon visiting the website www.fxhome.com

Can you check there to see whether your browser shutsdown?

it loads ok, but then shutsdown my browser !

• User profile image
    Shark_M

even this site, which someone passed to me, www.6arab.com

its a forgin music site, yet as i go to it, it shutsdown the FireFox, and event IE

I dont know why its happening in my PC?

I mean if a website can KILL instance of the FireFox browser and IE, then what else can it do??????????????????Perplexed

• User profile image
    faouri

Shark...

I am facing the exact same problem... did you solve it or find out why this is happening??

Thanks

• User profile image
    Charles

The system is killing the process. I have seen this before, but not recently. The process just dies. No errors are reported by the system, though. Interesting...

C

• User profile image
    Shark_M

apparently this behavior only happens in Windows XP machiens that have been patched with Service Pack 2. And the action is a defensive one. Some websites once you connect to them, they try to connect yo you via Sync Packet at closed ports or even http port, and for somereason the system sees this as an attack or some malicous event. The Maker of the website, instructs it at code, that if the connection failed to that ip, with in x seconds, then shutdown the browser instance. This is what i gathered up.

Its stopped happening , after i upgraded firefox to the lates build. Now the browser does not shutdown , only shows that site not exist or an error occured, something like that. but does not shut it down.

since I dont use IE mutch I have since not experianced this issue.

• User profile image
    billh

I've actually had it with XP SP1, though, too.  I could never reproduce it when it happened, but it occurs about every 6 months.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.