Tech Off Thread

15 posts

VS 2005 bug, IDE Crashed!!!!!?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

hi guys,
    Today I was doing a windows forms project, and I rebuild the solution, and then suddenly Visual studio 2005 prompts me to send an error report to microsoft, and told me to restart vs2005. after doing that, i run the app using debug, and i see the form in the task manager, but i dont see the form  at all in my disktop. Only if idid maximize through right click >> maximize do i see it....Normal window state does not show the form only in taskbar... what is going on?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Check the window position and size - it's possible that it's set off the screen, to a size 0x0, or both.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

all these check, they are where they should be

i mean i did not do any changes to the code, it was working alright, but in one debug session, that happened

now i am repairing the VS2005 installation to see if this will fix it or not

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Shark_M wrote:
    all these check, they are where they should be

i mean i did not do any changes to the code, it was working alright, but in one debug session, that happened

now i am repairing the VS2005 installation to see if this will fix it or not

I have yet to use VS2005 on anything serious, but I can say that in vs2003, you are well served to keep your forms small and use usercontrols to keep track of groups of functions.  There is a major bug in 2003 that causes the designer to cough up a lung and lose references between the designer and the code.  When this happens, you'll find that your forms don't work any more and hours of work are down the drain.  There were some fixes for this, but it still happens in certain cases. 

I hope this isn't part of 2005 Sad

• User profile image
    Shark_M

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Basic
    Visual Basic compiler is unable to recover from the following error: System Error &H8013141e&
    Save your work and restart Visual Studio.
    OK   

what is this? it asks me to send report to microsoft like a 50 times and the only way to stop it is to kill deven.exe

I think this is a bug or what?

yesterday everything was ok and now I get this, its as if VS2005 has a mind of its own Perplexed

• User profile image
    Shark_M

16 errors, appeared out of no where ,and not sure how to fix them, here are some of them

Error    1    The "Vbc" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Hosting.IVbcHostObject.EndInitialization()
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Vbc.InitializeHostCompiler(IVbcHostObject vbcHostObject)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Vbc.InitializeHostObject()
       at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)    WCVnTS

==============================
    Error    2    The "Vbc" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Vbc.InitializeHostCompiler(IVbcHostObject vbcHostObject)
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)    WCSocket

Error    3    A problem occurred while trying to set the "References" parameter for the IDE's in-process compiler. Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.    WVBCLIENT

Error    4    The "Vbc" task failed unexpectedly.
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)    WVBCLIENT

======================================

• User profile image
    Shark_M

any one has any idea as to how to get around this problem?

• User profile image
    anthq11

Try reinstalling .NET 2.0

• User profile image
    dantheman82

Remove VS 2005, press any key to continue. Expressionless

I'm going to wait to use it on anything serious until the first patch comes out...  

• User profile image
    Shark_M

anthq11 wrote:
    Try reinstalling .NET 2.0

I reinstalled VS2005, did not help.

Now I see in the product feedback, that this is indeed a bug, that would have been a ship stopper according to Matthew Gertz, VB Compiler Dev Lead

on the Microsoft FeedBack Forums

• User profile image
    Frank Hileman

VS 2005 quality is low overall, not up to even the usual standards (which were not very high). Backups are essential.

• User profile image
    Chadk

dantheman82 wrote:
    Remove VS 2005, press any key to continue.

I'm going to wait to use it on anything serious until the first patch comes out...  

Damn, i think you are gonna wait for a loooooong time then.
    From all i heard, and what microsoft uses to do. There wont be a patch the next months.
    2003 are supposed to get a service pack in the next months. But i guess we can wait for it a few months more. So, how big chance are it that we will see one for 2005?

So i dont think we should except to see a patch for VS, unless Microsoft have changed their mind, which i hope.

Frank Hileman wrote:
    VS 2005 quality is low overall, not up to even the usual standards (which were not very high). Backups are essential.

I dont really agree here. I think VS 2005 is very high quallity, feature vice. Bug vice, i dont really care. It might not be that high as we want. But i find it acceptable. I havent found it crashing, in normal use, so far.
    I have seen some guys that found some bugs, but that was using faulty code. So i dont care about that. Who compiles broken code?

• User profile image
    Shark_M

my code is not broken, and this bug is validated by many people including the developers at the vbteam.

this bug existed in code since beta1 of Whidbey. and now they are testing a fix for this bug, becase initially it was hard to reproduce the bug.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

I cant seem to do anywork on VS2005, because of this bug. Its Extremely annoying, and there is no hotfix in windows update for it Sad
    I dont know when is Microsoft VS2005 team going to release a fix for this cirtical and bad and annoying bug?Expressionless

• User profile image
    Shark_M

finally a Hot Fix is released by the VBTeam,

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/viewFeedback.aspx?feedbackid=625dddda-d999-4fca-aa3b-68f430d47a7e

Resolved as Fixed by Microsoft on 2006-02-21 at 12:14:26

All --

I just wanted to let you know that the hotfix for this issue is now finally available. It is KB# 915038 -- the article isn't written yet, but you should be able to call PSS and refer to that number to get access to the patch.

Thanks to the community for identifying this issue, being incredibly cooperative in helping us nail it down, and being patient as we released the fix.

Thanks again,
    Amanda Silver

Program Manager
    Visual Basic

I could not get it as of yet Perplexed

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.