Tech Off Thread

9 posts

So much information. So little time.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ben2004uk

Evening All!!!

I have a little problem at the moment.  I really really really want to learn the following technologies:

SQL Server 2005
    C# (Improve upon - more adv && winforms)
    WinFX - Not even started looking at this, got it setup in a VMWare session and going to the WinFX talk in Reading at the end of the month to help with this.

I would like to learning the following as well (not as important)
    C++ - Unmanaged && managed.  Would like to gain a better understanding of the language.
    UML / Design Patterns - Half way into a book on this but I have been sidetracked by Sql 2005, going to learn this next year as part of my final year at uni - but would like to gain a better understanding now.
    Ajax / Atlas - Again, haven't started looking into this yet, but really want to.

So as you can see, thats a fair amount of learning to do.  I know its all you can't learn things overnight - it requires using the technology.  At the moment using C# 1.1, Sql 2000 and VB6 at work (Junior Developer on placement) so thats cool, and when I come home I read my Pro Sql Server 2005 book.

However I just feel like I am trying to read all different information about different technologies but not actually learning anything - for example, finding it hard to learn XPath/XQuery because I cannot relate it to anything or try it out on anything different than whats in the book - a test dev app would be cool but I haven't got a project which I could include it in.

I would just like some advance on how I should continue to learn about all these new technologies effectively,  and how I should try and relate it to the real world and not just continue to read out of books.

I have some ideas for apps I would like to develop (so larger than others) but I don't know if I should learn about the technologies and then try to develop the apps using them, or try to develop the apps and get it wrong and re-develop them more effectively - reading as I do it.

If the above makes sense, please advise Big Smile

Thanks

Ben

• User profile image
    Harlequin

www.wrox.com

Good books, I have around 20 from them. Smiley

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I used to get them from there but at the moment going with apress.com.

Out of the 20 - how many have yo read??

• User profile image
    utterdoul

Same here, tons of books, not enough time in the day!

Personally I have found that its easier to learn something when you are currently working on a project; that way I have the "what" part laid out and just need to figure out the "how" part.

Please I like to take an iterative approach when using new technology. First just get it to work and then, as time permits, break it down and rebuild it better faster stronger than before.

• User profile image
    rajmandalia9

Same here, tons of books, not enough time in the day!

Personally I have found that its easier to learn something when you are currently working on a project; that way I have the "what" part laid out and just need to figure out the "how" part.

Plus, I like to take an iterative approach when using new technology. First just get it to work and then, as time permits, break it down and rebuild it better faster stronger than before.

Finally, I have made it a habit to carry at least one tech. book with me during the day so that I can make use of small unexpected downtimes (like waiting for a meeting to start). Also, I have found that going through a book serially from start to finish is kinda dry. Try diving into some point in the latter part of the book, and then criss-cross all over it tracking down anything you don't quite understand in the advanced section. You'll find that once you have experience in one area \ language, you will understand a lot of the stuff in another area without actually having to read detailed "newbie" explanations.

Remember, you can't learn and know everything there is - you have to develop your capacity to be able to learn quickly and on-the-fly.

Hope this helps.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I read most of them during Summer 2003.

Back then I knew the "upcoming" .NET was going to be used quite a bit in our company. Thus I spent $800 on books and read, read, read.  Cool

• User profile image
    pwzeus

hummm so that means i m not alone

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=160954

I have lots of e-book but they are not easy to read, triedgetting real books but i was reading less and sleeping more...only time i can spend after readong book is weekend but i cant read 1 chapter every week...its just to big of a gap between 2 weekends...

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I think I might just try and find a project which "must" use certain technologies.

I did at work on the last project - PGP and WebDav but no one else knows about it so when it came to testing it they all got really worried so I have pretty much done the testing for the application as well - not cool Sad

I have just purchased four new books today

2 C#
    2 Sql Server 2005

Which means I have five books (got a winforms one as well) I want to read. 

Planning on using C# 2.0 a bit more at work next month when I finally get it installed. Sql 2005 isn't going to be implemented while I'm there (on fixed term until June)/

My plan is, read over the books, do some hands on labs, think of an app (at the moment, doing to do a IIS Web Logs app in Reporting Services && Analysis Services or Integrated Services.  I know its ont the correct use, but i feel it will help me learn.

Think Im just going to have to work over them all, and hopefully get it all done by the end of the summer when I can start on WinFX && Vista before it goes RTM.

Cheers for your replies, at least i'm not the only one who has trouble learning all the different technologies

• User profile image
    cmcmsf

I try to help with a reply I posted here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=161270#161270

- Mark

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.