Tech Off Thread

4 posts

To WPF or not to WPF?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • DigitalDud

I'm working on an app for my school that displays the status of computer labs in the building (lab map showing workstations that are available/in-use and a graph showing how full the labs are).  This will be put up on a few nice big plasma screens.

So...I'd like to do something that has a real hi-fi graphics experience with some nice animations to prevent screen burn-in. WPF would seem to be ideal for this considering that I already wrote a .NET app without the super-splashy graphics.

I have very little knowledge of WPF except of what it does. I'd like to use it but I'm concerned about stablity since it's still in beta. This isn't exactly a mission-critical application but it should be able to run continuously with few restarts. 

Can anyone else with more experience with WPF recommend it for an application like this? Should I try doing this in Flash or maybe the low bar and hack together something with managed D3D or GDI+?

• BenDi

From my experiments with Sparkle (the Expression WPF Designer) it's not only fun and fast to build really cool apps but they seem to run stable (I never saw one of mine crash... didnt try running them for very long though). I'd say just give it a shot.

• Harlequin

Most important reason...

If you learn it now, you'll be on top of things 2 years down the road when WPF is hot!

Smiley

• footballism

BenDi wrote:
    From my experiments with Sparkle (the Expression WPF Designer) it's not only fun and fast to build really cool apps but they seem to run stable (I never saw one of mine crash... didnt try running them for very long though). I'd say just give it a shot.

Well, I have to say that Sparkle is not so stable as you think it to be.

Sheva

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.