Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Explorer

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Hey,

how can i add menus or toolbars in Windows Explorer? I think will be nice to have: File, New, Window. Like IE.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ion Todirel wrote:
    Hey,

how can i add menus or toolbars in Windows Explorer? I think will be nice to have: File, New, Window. Like IE.

You can't.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

You may be able to find an extension somewhere.  I don't know where you'd start, though.

• User profile image
    bikini

Ion Todirel wrote:
    I think will be nice to have: File, New, Window. Like IE.

Well, webview with shell automation works (but isn't quite as integrated)...

• User profile image
    Khamul

Get a resource editor, BACKUP explorer.exe, hack explorer.exe...

Three simple steps to customization that has an almost guaranteed chance of stuffing up your computer. So, on second thoughts, don't just backup explorer.exe, backup everything.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Khamul wrote:
    Get a resource editor, BACKUP explorer.exe, hack explorer.exe...

Three simple steps to customization that has an almost guaranteed chance of stuffing up your computer. So, on second thoughts, don't just backup explorer.exe, backup everything.

Explorer doesn't use "standard" menus, compare Notepad's to Explorers, Spy++ also shows us that Explorer's menubars use the same class as the toolbars. (Similar to Office's toolbars and menubars)

• User profile image
    androidi

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/dotnetbandobjects.asp

However MS says you should not do these kind of extensions with .NET. If the user wants to use another extension that needs different version of .NET then ...

It's however possible to use some kind of native proxy and do the grunt work with .NET. (avoiding loading any managed code to explorer)

I recommend looking the PDC05 presentations.. One of them was about plugins and discussed extending explorer.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.