Tech Off Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to check nullness

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

(C#)  I need to check whether or not a string is null.  Every time I put it into an IF statement, if it's null it throws an exception.  So I tried to put the fired statement in a catch but it ends up firing the Catch every time.  Is there a more elegant and accurate method to test a string for nullness and get a boolean result?

• User profile image
    Maurits

if (s == null) { ... } should work.

if (s.equals(null)) { ... } will never be true and will fire a NullPointerException if s is null.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

That's what I figured.  This is the line that returns the exception:

if (logEntryDataSet.VisitorsTable[index].Browser1 == null)

this is the exception:
    'logEntryDataSet.VisitorsTable[index].Browser1' threw an exception of type 'System.Data.StrongTypingException'
    base {System.Data.DataException} = {"The value for column 'Browser1' in table 'VisitorsTable' is DBNull."}

I have checked and there is an entry at logEntryDataSet.VisitorsTable[index].  Browser1 is nullable and sometimes null / sometimes not, but it should work...

• User profile image
    Maurits

Ah...
        IsDBNull(x)
    and
        x == null
    are two different things, not to be confused.

EDIT: See also Andrew Conrad's post on the matter

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Sweetness.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Maurits wrote:
    Ah...
        IsDBNull(x)
    and
        x == null
    are two different things, not to be confused.

EDIT: See also Andrew Conrad's post on the matter

I tend to use "if(Foo == System.Data.DBNull.Value) {" instead of the ISDBNull function which is just a leftover from VB days.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Or: if (Foo is DBNull) { ... }

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Or: if (Foo is DBNull) { ... }

...C# doesn't have an "is" operator, the equivalency operator "==" works for both value and reference types.

Which is a bit weird, considering that String is a reference type, yet VB uses the "=" operator instead of "Is"

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    ...C# doesn't have an "is" operator

C# does have an is operator, it compares type. Doing "instance is SomeType" is equivalent to doing "TypeOf instance Is SomeType" in VB.

W3bbo wrote:
    Which is a bit weird, considering that String is a reference type, yet VB uses the "=" operator instead of "Is"

This is because the Is operator tests reference equality, while the = operator for String tests string value equality:
    Dim s1 As String = "Foo"
    Dim s2 As String = "Foo"

Dim result As Boolean = (s1 = s2) ' will be true
    result = s1 Is s2 ' false
    result = s1.Equals(s2) ' true
    result = s1.ReferenceEquals(s2) ' false

(NOTE: In this particular example, the compiler is likely to intern the string constant so Is and ReferenceEquals would return true, but if you read the string from a file or whatever it most certainly returns false, even if the strings are identical).

If you were to do "Dim s2 As String = s1" then both s2 and s1 actually reference the same String instance, so ReferenceEquals and Is would return true.

In C#, the String class overloads operator== to mean string equality, meaning that since C# has no reference comparison operator like VB, if you want to test reference equality on strings, you must use ReferenceEquals or do "(object)s1 == (object)s2".

• User profile image
    Raj Tripathi

In Framework 2.0 String has a new more convenient method that enables you to simultaneously test whether a String is a null reference or its value is Empty. - IsNullOrEmpty.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Maurits wrote:

IsDBNull isn't showing up in Intellisense.  Do I need to include a specific reference?  if(x[y].z == dbnull)  isn't working either. Apparently DBNull wants to work for x[y] row but not x[y].z string. I'm not seeing an intelliSense vector for IsNullOrEmpty(x[y].z) or x[y].z.izNullOrEmpty .  Clearly I'm putting them in wrong?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ahh, got it!

if (logEntryDataSet.VisitorsTable[index].IsBrowser1Null())

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

W3bbo, in C#, 'is' is used to check if an object is of a given type, so 'Foo is DBNull' will be true if the object Foo is of type DBNull.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:
    W3bbo, in C#, 'is' is used to check if an object is of a given type, so 'Foo is DBNull' will be true if the object Foo is of type DBNull.

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking of the "is" operator as far as equality goes, not C#'s equivalent of typeof().

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    TommyCarlier wrote: W3bbo, in C#, 'is' is used to check if an object is of a given type, so 'Foo is DBNull' will be true if the object Foo is of type DBNull.

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking of the "is" operator as far as equality goes, not C#'s equivalent of typeof().

C# also has typeof, but it is the equivalent of GetType in VB, and returns a System.Type object for the specified type (so "typeof(string)" returns a System.Type object for System.String, the same happens in VB with "GetType(String)")

• User profile image
    y2k4life

What I did was write a IsNullOrBlank in a Helper Class.

the key is that you will want to test length because that is quicker than testing the string itself. is string == ""; sting.length == 0

Also want to test null before lenght. The idea is that if one is true then the if stops. If the first test is for lenght on a sting that is null you will get an error. So the order of the test is important because if buffer == null the other 'or' part of the if will not execute.

public class StringHelper
    {
        public static bool IsNullOrBlank(string testBuffer)
        {
           if(testBuffer == null || testBuffer.Length == 0)
               return true;
           else
               return false;
        }
    }

if(!StringHelper.IsNullOrBlank(buffer))
      buffer not null
    else
      buffer is null

if(StringHelper.IsNullOrBlank(buffer))
      buffer is null
    else
      buffer is not null

- g

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

y2k4life wrote:
    public class StringHelper
    {
        public static bool IsNullOrBlank(string testBuffer)
        {
           if(testBuffer == null || testBuffer.Length == 0)
               return true;
           else
               return false;
        }
    }

I realize some people prefer to do this for readability, but just to be sure: you do realize you can condense that down to "return testBuffer == null || testBuffer.Length == 0;", I hope. Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

The Perler in me wants to write: s ??= ""; Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.