Tech Off Thread

1 post

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Data model performance question (splitting tables)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Aptly Goodie

Is it a good idea to split tables? Let's say I have a table of photos, a table of galleries, a table to relate photos to galleries (M-to-N), a table of articles, and a table to relate photos to articles (M-to-N). Should I combine these two relation tables into one and distinguish each relation with a type, or split it into two by type? If I split them, the growth of table size will only be moderate, say O(1.5N), knowing that a photo may only be featured in 1.5 galleries on average (maybe lower). If I combine them, it may make searches lengthier because it will record all relationships, including ones that I have no mentioned, making the growth likely be O(m x n) or maybe O(n^2). So one makes coding harder and overall performance better, the other makes coding easy but performance may be unscaleable. Further, it's very likely that finding photos in a gallery occurs more frequently than finding all relations in a gallery. What should I do?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.