Tech Off Thread

6 posts

please help a newb at Windows Media Player

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    coder316

Hi, I'm a bit of a newb at coding Windows Media Player plugins. I've already browsed through the documentation for it, finding myself still scratching my head saying "huh?" - I have some practice with Visual C++ (using Microsoft C++ 6.0 and 7.0), but I admit I'm more comfortable in the Web development arena.
    Anyway, I'm trying to develop a simple plugin for Windows Media Player that'll get the playlist, including META data (mainly artist and song name), when each song starts/stops playing and in real time send all of that to another app running in the background.
    I was hoping to find a tutorial or two as a supplement read along with the manual, to better understand how to create a Windows Media Player plugin.
    Any help/links to tutorials is greatly appreciated!
    Thanx. Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I recommend you read up on Interprocess Communication, there's also a lot of documentation in MSDN for WMP/WMS/WME programming/development. I recommend downloading the separate SDK for WMP/WMS/WME, I don't have the link though, sorry.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Although perhaps not the easiest sample to start with, C9Music does extract the song and artist name from the currently playing song.

The part you're interested in is in the Channel9.Music.WmpPlugin project. It uses a bit of C++/CLI to interact with the other projects which are written in C#, but the stuff of interacting with WMP is all plain C++.

And downloading the WMP SDK is definitely a good idea. I believe it installs a project wizard for Visual C++ that allows you to create a plugin that listens to events (such as playstatechanged), then you can just fill in the blanks.

• User profile image
    coder316

The only copy of WMP SDK install I can find is for WMP 9. Not too diff from WMP 10? Is there anything for WMP 11 yet?
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into it. Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

coder316 wrote:
    The only copy of WMP SDK install I can find is for WMP 9. Not too diff from WMP 10? Is there anything for WMP 11 yet?
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into it. Smiley

WMP 10 SDK

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

coder316 wrote:
    get the playlist, including META data (mainly artist and song name), when each song starts/stops playing and in real time send all of that to another app running in the background.

check this out.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.