Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Microsoft SQL basics 2005

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    arun_coorg

I have used SQL server 2000 running queries and ran some basic queries for creating database.
       I installed Microsoft SQl 2005 and now I a bit confused. 

Where can I find my Query analyser and Run the query and execute it.  2000 had a simple and neat designs for simple execution but what about SQL 2005.
    Any suggestions? Its a silly question but I need to run one project and I am not able to run SQL. Any help apprectaied?
    Thanks
    -Arun

• User profile image
    Arran

You now do everything from within SQL 2005 Management Studio.

Register a server just like you used to in Enterprise manager.

Then if you want to just run a query right click on a database and select new query.

• User profile image
    carlnickers​on

You can still use the query analyzer from SQL Server 2000 to run queries and create/modify objects in SQL Server 2005, but if you want to use a GUI to manage your database you have to use SQL 2005 Management Studio as noted above. The old SQL Server Enterprise Manager will not connect to a 2005 database.

• User profile image
    arun_coorg

Thanks a lot for the info.

But if I tried going to this location
    Start menu, ---> All Programs, ---> Microsoft SQL Server 2005,
    then ---> SQL Server Management Studio.
     I am not finding SQL Server Management Studio. 
     I can see configuration tools and Documentaion and tutorials.  
     Do you think I need to reinstall 2005? 
    Thanks
     -Arun

• User profile image
    orflom

In the same issue..
    Im running few .sql script file one after another... using the "open" button and choosing the .sql file to open.

in query analyser of 2000 after connecting once to server i opened and ran the files with no problem. In sql 2005 every openning of a file requires re-connecting to the server.. is it by design??? or its a property not configured correctly?

TKS in Advance..
    Or 

• User profile image
    Oggelito

Hi Arun

arun_coorg wrote:

But if I tried going to this location
    Start menu, ---> All Programs, ---> Microsoft SQL Server 2005,
    then ---> SQL Server Management Studio.
     I am not finding SQL Server Management Studio.

You don't have it installed, just run the setup again and add ssms.

Regarding orflums issue, I say it's by design, yes. It asks for credentials for new scripts, new query windows and new procedures for me too. The remember password checkbox doesn't seem to make any difference for me neither...

• User profile image
    orflom

so ill said by design but seems like a bug...

ill run it in sql 2000 query analyzer.. easyer...

TKS!!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.