Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Which antivirus

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Just a quick question, what is your prefered anti-virus software?

I need something that will scan the disk and email in side Outlook (the full version not express).  Don't care about firewalls and all the the other stuff or if it's free or not, just the best soultion for disk/email.

The reason I ask is I'm helping some friends out, and their world is a bit different from mine, no exchange server with Antigen, no server/firewall based anti virus etc, I'm a bit out of touch with the home market!

Cheers,

Stephen.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

My prefered anti-virus system is my own brain, I don't run any AV software here Smiley

But if you want a real suggestion, Kaspersky and AVG are both fine. Do NOT go with Symantec Anti-Virus, it's a resource hog and their subscriptions are quite expensive (it's all really slow).

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo wrote:
    My prefered anti-virus system is my own brain, I don't run any AV software here Smiley

Agreed, I don't run anything on my machines but as I say, I check a lot of things at the board of my network.

Anyway the people I'm intreasted in AV for don't really know what they are doing with the inner workings of computers so need something that works, is simple and out of sight until something goes wrong.

Anyone using Nod32?

• User profile image
    andokai

avast! is good, free for home use and it works on both x86 and x64.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

andokai wrote:
    avast! is good, free for home use and it works on both x86 and x64.

Shiver me timbers lad!

• User profile image
    Shark_M

Nothing beats Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Pro

• User profile image
    ReelMcCoy

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Anyone using Nod32?

I've been using Nod32 for just over a year.  No complaints.  It doesn't consume a lot of system resources.  The virus definitions are updated regularly.  Although I can't say I've had to worry about anything I've downloaded nor received in e-mail for quite some time.  But I'll take something lightweight and updated regularly to give some piece of mind in case something DOES come through.

• User profile image
    Maurits
  • User profile image
    jonne

I'm using Nod32 as well, and have been very pleased. Lightweight and daily updates,  unobtrusive (using Silent Mode with email error notification). Although I have turned off the IMON Http-monitoring, because it caused all sorts of strange problems for me.

I'm staying as far away from Norton as possible, it has become a humongous resource and memory hog that almost take over your whole computer.

• User profile image
    Shagate

AVG works well, and doesn't consume tons of resources like most of the other brands (Norton, Avast, McAfee, etc).

If you're just looking to do an occasional scan, and cover your email, grab the free version from their site. If you want more features (or x64 support) you can grab their commercial release.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.