Tech Off Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

System.web.caching in a windows app

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    AndyD

I'm currently writing a windows forms app that uses a web service asd the source of it's data. Obviously I dont want to just use the web service to read data as it's requested, but I'd like to read ahead in order to increase performance. To do this I figure I need a cache in my windows app, which leads to the question of whether I can use the system.web.caching classes to do this, or should I have write my own cache based around a hash table?

According to this article you need to start the HTTP Runtime to use the cache - to me this doesn't sound good on a windows app.

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/cacheinwinformapps.asp

Has anyone ever used the web cache in a windows app and avoided any problems? Is it a safe thing to do?

• User profile image
    Randolpho

What Web.Cache will give you is a time-to-live feature. Do you need something like that? Your description implies otherwise, IMO. It sounds to me like you should just go ahead and read ahead and store your data in a que (if order is important) or a hash (if it's not).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.