Tech Off Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista and AERO

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anthq11

    Is there a way to force AERO to do its AERO-ey trasparency and stuff?  I have an ATi Radeon 9250, which is not supported by Vista AERO, but how hard can it be to make transparent and alpha effects?

    Thanks.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Well if it's not supported, obviously not Smiley

    Your ATI card is a DX8.1 series card, right? So it wouldn't support Pixel Shader 3.0 (Which is what's employed for the alpha/blur effects)

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    It MAY be a DX8 - but the CD with the dirvers on it installed 9.0c, and I'm pretty sure that I could run the Pixelshader 3.0 diagnostic thing from the DX9 diag. utility...

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    s no pixelshader in dxdiag...hmmm...

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\DWM
    add DWord: UseMachineCheck = 0

    Toggle on/off using CTRL+SHIFT+F9. Expect a whole lot of flickering until you turn it back off.  This happened to me on 5308 and 5342.

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    anthq11 wrote:
    It MAY be a DX8 - but the CD with the dirvers on it installed 9.0c, and I'm pretty sure that I could run the Pixelshader 3.0 diagnostic thing from the DX9 diag. utility...

    W3bbo was referring to a "DirectX 9 Card" meaning the card would support such things as PixelShader 3.0 and T&L in hardware.  No amount of coding can correct some deficiencies on hardware. A DX9-certified card supports all DirectX 9 instructions, though you can install DX9 with any crappy old videocard.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    SlackmasterK wrote:
    No amount of coding can correct some deficiencies on hardware.

    I wonder if you can hack the DWM to run on the Reference Rasterizer. Now that would be slow. Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    lordgauron

    W3bbo wrote:
    Well if it's not supported, obviously not Smiley

    Your ATI card is a DX8.1 series card, right? So it wouldn't support Pixel Shader 3.0 (Which is what's employed for the alpha/blur effects)

    Aero Glass doesn't needs Shader Model 3.0. My Gef FX 5700 card is sm2.0 compliant and runs the 3D UI well (with blur effect). And on my neighbour's Gef6800GT looks equal to mine.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    lordgauron wrote:
    Aero Glass doesn't needs Shader Model 3.0. My Gef FX 5700 card is sm2.0 compliant and runs the 3D UI well (with blur effect). And on my neighbour's Gef6800GT looks equal to mine.


    My bad, but it does certainly require SM2.x which is only supported by DX9 (and later revisions of OpenGL, right?)

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    You mean "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM" ?

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    I added the dword walue "UseMachineCheck" and set it to 0, but after restarting, CTRL+SHIFT+F9 does absolutely nothing.

     

    Am I doing something wrong?

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    http://www.sharepointblogs.com/andymay/archive/2005/09/29/3680.aspx

    i think oyu may have gotten a little mixed up....sorry!

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    And the DWM key there is not present for me wither - whats going on?

  • User profile image
    Foxfire

    anthq11 wrote:
    And the DWM key there is not present for me wither - whats going on?


    Just listen to the people. It's likely your Hardware doesn't support the neccessary functions so it won't work no matter how much you try to set stuff here and there. My guess would be that you need one of the following cards (or something similar/better):

    * ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    I guess im off to newegg...Thanks!

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    anthq11 wrote:
    You mean "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM" ?

    Bah, yes that's it.

    anthq11 wrote:
    I added the dword walue "UseMachineCheck" and set it to 0, but after restarting, CTRL+SHIFT+F9 does absolutely nothing.

    Am I doing something wrong?


    Try under HKLM. And yes, EnableMachineCheck may be it, but I'm quite certain I remember 'use'... I got it to enable, though buggy, on 5308 / 5342.  This was on Radeons 7500 and 9550. Upgraded to a 9600 AIW but it still didn't work till the new build.

     

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    The workaround either changed or was removed in recent builds, I remember reading the old way didn't work anymore anyway.

    Also, because without WDDM drivers GPUs don't do scheduling, you can't run anything that uses Direct3D if you force the DWM without WDDM.

    And lastly, Microsoft has explicitly stated (on the newsgroups) that they don't want beta testers doing this. It's not a supported configuration so it provides no valuable testing data for them.

  • User profile image
    anthq11

    SlackmasterK wrote:
    This was on Radeons 7500 and 9550. Upgraded to a 9600 AIW but it still didn't work till the new build.


    Aren't all of those supported?

    ATi has drivers up for Vista...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.