Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Xaml Web Application

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Has there been any word on Xaml Web Applications? I know in some videos we get a "sure it will run in the browser", but will it be a plugin? Will Firefox(or other browsers) be able to have a plugin that runs Xaml apps? Will .NET 2.0 be required, since I'm guessing you wouldn't want a whole runtime downloaded for a plugin...

• User profile image
    footballism

XBAP(Winfx Brower Application) is still running on the client side, so you cannot call it Xaml Web Application.
        Currently XBAP can only run on IE6 or later, as I know Microsoft is planning for WPF-E (correct me if I am wrong) which will support other non-microsoft platforms.
        For running XBAP, you need to install .NET Framework 2.0 and Winfx Runtime Components, because PresentationHost needs them to execute.

Sheva

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Wouldn't a Xaml Web Application be where the server generates the XAML on-the-fly and sends it down the client in response to any standard HTTP request?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Right, Xaml Browser Application Cool

I know they are planning WPF-E, but we need to know now. Do I go hardcore and teach myself Xaml, and thus push developers in our company to do the same....or not. IE7 will be out soon, Vista will be out in 10 or so months...lots of things to plan for Smiley

• User profile image
    dcoolidge99​508

Check out this site.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

dcoolidge99508 wrote:
    Check out this site.

Nice link,thanks...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:
    dcoolidge99508 wrote:Check out this site.

Nice link,thanks...

They say it's "cross-browser" but I've only seen it in Firefox and IE. How about Opera, Safari, and KHTML?

• User profile image
    pacelvi

Harlequin wrote:
    Right, Xaml Browser Application 

I know they are planning WPF-E, but we need to know now. Do I go hardcore and teach myself Xaml, and thus push developers in our company to do the same....or not. IE7 will be out soon, Vista will be out in 10 or so months...lots of things to plan for

The latest I read is that XAML is not really geared for human editing.  You should be using a tool that outputs XAML (like Cider)

• User profile image
    footballism

pacelvi wrote:
    Harlequin wrote:Right, Xaml Browser Application 

I know they are planning WPF-E, but we need to know now. Do I go hardcore and teach myself Xaml, and thus push developers in our company to do the same....or not. IE7 will be out soon, Vista will be out in 10 or so months...lots of things to plan for

The latest I read is that XAML is not really geared for human editing.  You should be using a tool that outputs XAML (like Cider)

Watch Charles Petzold's blog, He writes a lot of pretty XAML markups manually.

Sheva

• User profile image
    Joe Stegman

WPF/E will support Safari and Opera as well as IE, Firefox and Netscape browsers (all via plug-ins).  We'll support Windows 2K and above as well as Mac OS X 10.4 and above.  For IE, we use ActiveX and for other browsers we're using Netscape plug-ins.  Konqueror is not currently part of our Windows/Mac test matrix but should work with our Netscape plug-in.

We are working on a plan to support Linux platforms and appropriate browsers but Linux support will be post our V1 release (V1 is ~1st half of 2007).

Joe

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Joe Stegman wrote:
    We are working on a plan to support Linux platforms and appropriate browsers but Linux support will be post our V1 release (V1 is ~1st half of 2007).

WPF-E won't be out for Vista or WinXPSP3? Or IE7 to say the least...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.