Tech Off Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Turn Off Power Lights

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anthq11

Is there a way to turn off the computer's power lights so it LOOK like it is off -  either though software or by .NET 2.0 that I can do myself?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

No

It's controlled by your systems' BIOS.

• User profile image
    anthq11

Crap...so much for my server expedition....

Can I make AMI BIOS turn them off?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

You could (maybe) disconnect the power light.

• User profile image
    anthq11

Yeah - the whole switch gadget - while the computer is on *HOPING* it doesnt close the circuit - not sure how thats wired...lol

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I find duct tape works very well Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

Why do you want to run the computer without the power light?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

anthq11 wrote:
    Yeah - the whole switch gadget - while the computer is on *HOPING* it doesnt close the circuit - not sure how thats wired...lol

The power LED is seperate from the power switch.  In fact, you don't even need the power switch except momentarily to turn on the computer (substitutable by any mechanism that shorts two pins for a moment). If your computer is configured to turn on when you press a key, the switch isn't even neccessary.

• User profile image
    cheong

SlackmasterK wrote:
    anthq11 wrote:Yeah - the whole switch gadget - while the computer is on *HOPING* it doesnt close the circuit - not sure how thats wired...lol

The power LED is seperate from the power switch.  In fact, you don't even need the power switch except momentarily to turn on the computer (substitutable by any mechanism that shorts two pins for a moment). If your computer is configured to turn on when you press a key, the switch isn't even neccessary.

Yes. Open the case and look for "PWR_LED" pins on your motherboard, usually at the lower right corner among the power switch, reset switch, HDD_LED, internal buzzer or so. Pull the two wires for the pins out and the power light will no longer be "on".

Best consult your motherboard manual first if available... if you pull the wrong wire, it could be fairly difficult to put it back.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Not using your parallel port? Just wire the power-on LED to the parallel port in series with a ~400 ohm resistor, and you have a power LED you can controll through software.

• User profile image
    anthq11

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    Not using your parallel port? Just wire the power-on LED to the parallel port in series with a ~400 ohm resistor, and you have a power LED you can controll through software.

That'd be nice, but i need a parallel hookup thingy cable to the mobo...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Might I be the first to ask:  why?

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Might I be the first to ask:  why?

You might not be. Smiley

Maurits wrote:
    Why do you want to run the computer without the power light?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Oops Wink  Missed that one.

• User profile image
    anthq11

lol...

My family doesn't like the computer running all night.

So I can trick them with no power lights!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

anthq11 wrote:

lol...

My family doesn't like the computer running all night.

So I can trick them with no power lights!

Right, so ignoring:

• Computer fans wirring away
    • Hard-drive clicking
    • Why the computer's power-strip is left on
    • A load of other things
    If you really want to leave it on all night, reassure your parents and buy the appropriate equipment:

• A heavier-duty power-strip with surge protection that's designed to be left on 24/7
    • A modem/router that can withstand the heat it generates (I had to take the cover off my old one to stop it crashing)
    • A high-graded power-supply for your computer
    Provided you turn everything else off (besides the modem/router and system unit) the computer's power usage is a lot less than you think (well, mainly when it's idling and the GPU in 2D mode). Talk to your parents, you'll get through to them eventually.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

You actually increase the life of a computer when you leave it running.

When metal cools down it shrinks, and when it heats up it expands. Imagine this happening on your motherboard circuit and inside your processor and GPU of your expensive video card. *crack* Cool

If they don't like the "sound" of it running, then try putting it in a cabinet of sorts, and port the cabinet with a fan. I put my x305 IBM server in a 6'2" tall standing coat cabinet/closet thing, put a fan in the front(4").....and I'm amazed at how quiet it is...and how cold is in there. And it's quiet Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

Are your parents concerned that you're not getting enough sleep?  How old are you?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.