Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Problem with FIXMBR

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    sushovande

Hey guys, I have been messing around with my experimental partitions, and now I get this when I try to do a FIXMBR from the Windows XP SP2 CD recovery console:

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition table if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

I can still boot into my Windows XP OS, I just wanted to be sure my MBR things are in order. Plus Windows Vista does not like this MBR. So could anyone suggest whether I should allow FIXMBR to do its job?

• User profile image
    sushovande

cheong wrote:
    I think the answer is quite clear... do not risk doing harm if it's working properly.

I want a second opinion, to see whether anyone supports the other view. FYI vista doesnt install in this hard disk, and i suspect that this is the culprit.

Question: do you think that formatting and reinstalling Windows XP will help?

• User profile image
    cheong

Screen Capture wrote:

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

I think the answer is quite clear... do not risk doing harm if it's working properly.

The following lines are EDIT for more detailed reason why I think you shouldn't "fix" it:

So the origion of the problem is quite clear: Vista updated your MBR to a new format that WinXP SP2 recovery CD doesn't recognize. So it thinks the MBR is damaged and complains.

If that is the case, I can be quite sure that the Vista version of MBR is not something wrong, and can be relied to work continually even if you don't "fix" it. ("fix" is in double quite because in fact there's nothing wrong there)

If you try to fix it. By chances you can get it correct (high chances because MBRs rarely go outside the region of... MBR) and the recovery CD become happy. But if there's something goes wrong(e.g. the MBR have the first boot record relocated, etc. and the "fixboot" program knows nothing about that), you're in trouble.
    (Note that the above "e.g." is just some guess only, I have not installed Vista, and has no knowledge of how the Vista bootloader works)

About the option of reinstalling, my opinion is:

Reinstalling WinXP with repartitioning must help. (if you're formating, why not spend 1-2 minutes more to just delete the partitions and recreate them?)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.